Has connected to TP-Link extender but no internet, what can I do?

2020-03-09 09:50:00 - last edited 2023-10-12 10:32:50
Model: Range Extender  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The Range Extender becomes more and more popular nowadays with the demand for enlarging the Wi-Fi coverage area. But you may get in trouble to make it work. What can I do if I failed to configure my Range Extender? Today, we will show you several common situations you may encounter and how to deal with them. We will take RE450 as an example.

Case 1: The Initial Configuration of Range Extender

Please follow the instruction mentioned below to configure your RE.

1. Please refer to https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1400/.

2. You can watch the setup video as well.  https://www.tp-link.com/support/setup-video/

Note: Please use the main router’s Wi-Fi password to configure the RE. And the Wi-Fi password of RE cannot be customized.

Case 2: Failed to Connect  to the Main Router or Errors out  ‘No Host Network Connection:   Signal LED/2.4GHz/5GHz LEDs are OFF.

Or you will see the picture below after logging into the web UI.

What can I do then?

1. Verify the Wi-Fi password of the main router:

1) Log in to the management page of your router and double-check the Wi-Fi password.

2) Or forget router Wi-Fi network on mobile device  temporarily , connect back to router Wi-Fi by putting in password manually to examine Wi-Fi password.
 FAQ: 
How to remove existing wireless network profile on Android & iPhone

2. Factory reset Range Extender and reconfigure

RESET: With the extender powered on, use a pin to press the RESET button (pinhole) until all the LEDs flash once

3. Disable Mac filtering/Access Control/Band Steering functions on the main router.

4. For Dual Band Range Extender, if the App or Web says ‘  No Host Network Connection  ‘, check if router 5Ghz Wi-Fi is on  DFS channel ( Brief introduction of DFS function)  change Router 5G channel to Band 1 channels (36, 40, 44, 48) and set up RE again

Case 3: RE has connected to the main router: Signal LED/2.4GHz/5GHz LEDs are ON but still no internet access.  

And you will see the Status page on RE shows as below: DHCP Server (On), Dynamic IP (Failed).

What can I do then?

1.  First, the root cause is that the RE/clients failed to obtain IP address from Main router. A static IP and specific DHCP server settings on extender will sort this out.

1)  Login to router and check the DHCP server settings on Router.  For example, below is the DHCP server settings on TP-Link Archer C7.

Or connect your PC to the Wi-Fi you want to extend. Start -> CMD ->ipconfig /all. You can get  Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers values from there.

2)Customize the DHCP server settings on RE.  According to the settings on Router, RE’s DHCP server should be set as below. 

If the issue persists despite the above steps, please Start a New Thread for your range extender with the troubleshooting steps you've tried and we'd love to look into that further: 

1. LED status on RE 

2. Model of router and network topology, e.g.  Router AX1500 <wireless> RE450

3. Try to log in range extender web page and share a photo of Status page after setup
4. Firmware and hardware version of RE:  How to find the hardware and firmware version of my TP-Link device?
5. For dual-band extender, RE failed to connect to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz or both Wi-Fi bands.

Thank you!

More Articles: 

TP-Link Range Extender Setup (Range Extender Mode)

What should I do if Internet speed becomes slow via Range Extender?

Unable to Connect to WiFi Extender or Saying Incorrect Password

Options
32 Reply
Re:Has connected to TP-Link extender but no internet, what can I do?
2020-03-18 02:51:15

@Kevin_Z i have tried everything you've suggested but it still doesnt work. The 5Ghz network keeps disconnecting and i have to reboot the extrender to regain access to the internet which is very annoying.

Options
2020-03-18 09:19:36

@M_ok 

What is the model number of your extender? What is the led status of it when it stops working? 

Do other devices connected to the main router have the same issue? Can you get internet from the extender via LAN cable at the same time? 

Please show us a screenshot of the settings page and the Settings-DHCP page if you are able to log into the web UI with extender stops working. 

Besides, what is the model number of the main router? 

Options
2020-03-18 14:58:43

@Kevin_Z hello, I have attached the model number of the extender and the settings page. Just to reiterate, the 2.4Ghz works fine but the 5Ghz keeps disconnecting. I can get internet on the 2.4Ghz but not on the 5Ghz when it stops working. The LED is still on even when there's no internet. Thanks 

Options
2020-03-18 14:59:39
Options
2020-03-18 15:00:29
Options
2020-03-20 06:00:37

@M_ok 

Thanks for your information. 

You can set up a static IP for the RE450 and turn on the DHCP server and configure the DHCP settings by referring to case 3 on the original post. 

Besides, what is the model number of your main router? 

Options
2020-03-23 05:37:38

@Kevin_Z so I think I figured a way out of this mess. I'm simply connected to the main router on 2.4G and extended on 2.4G and 5G. Now the speeds are not so fantastic but I'll take this over having to reboot my extender every 3hours or so. I haven't rebooted the extender in over 24 hours so far so it should be a good sign. I'll appreciate if there's a firmware upgrade to tackle this issue. Thanks 

Options
2020-04-11 09:36:40
Options
2020-05-30 02:18:25

Hi @Kevin_Z 

I just bought RE450 and experiencing the anomaly problem.

Everything fine with 2.4G, but when extending the 5G it was ok for the first 60-120 minutes.

After that, all my devices had some issue connecting to Internet, Intermittent connection and then for the new devices cannot get IP addresses which connected to 5 Ghz SSID.

When I was connecting my devices to the 5Ghz host/root wifi router, all were good.

But here is the weird thing, I tried to not setup password (Open Authentication) for 5Ghz SSID in the host/root wifi router, as well as RE450. And everything were stable and normal for around 8 hours. But if I setup the password for connecting to host/root wifi router, it became unstable again after 2 hours.

I assume there is a defect/bug with the 5Ghz chipset corresponding to password encryption.

Thanks for your attention!

Options
2020-06-29 14:18:53

@M_ok Thank you for sharing this info!

Options