Android devices fail to connect when I set a custom dns server in the same range.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Android devices fail to connect when I set a custom dns server in the same range.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-07 01:40:15
Model: Archer C50  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1_0.2_up_boot[180313-rel54477]

So,

I reset my router to factory

Router default ip is 192.168.0.1

Set DHCP main DNS server to 192.168.0.X    example 192.168.0.10

Result:

Any android device cannot stablish a connection to the router, it automatically disconnects and enters a connection loop

If I set the DNS server to 192.168.1.X  while the router IP is 192.168.0.1  it works.

So basically if I set a DNS in the same IP range as the router, it fails, and I need the DNS server on the same range as the router....

what can I do? and I cannot manually set every PC dns manually, I need this in the router.

Options
12 Reply
Re:Android devices fail to connect when I set a custom dns server in the same range.
2021-12-07 05:15:00

@TKwsNi 

Go through this thread to see how you could mitigate this problem.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Android devices fail to connect when I set a custom dns server in the same range.
2021-12-07 05:20:27 - last edited 2021-12-07 05:20:49

@terziyski thanks but I already tried it, is not that. I have my dns setup in the DHCP server.

The dns work fine on PC or laptops, the problem is when Android devices try to connect to the WiFi, it reconnects indefinitely not even 1 second and it disconnect/reconnect.

And basically any android device, not just 1 or 2... I cannot test on iOS.

Options
2021-12-07 06:37:13 - last edited 2021-12-07 06:41:38

@TKwsNi 

Maybe the problem is with your DNS setup or the way Android OS devices communicate with this DNS.

Many users are using a Pi-hole in their environment and configure the DNS in the router's DHCP settings without any issue.

What kind of SW you're using for your DNS ?

Have you considered upgrading your router's FW to the latest release ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-12-07 06:41:36

@terziyski I don't remember, I didn't setup that dns... but here is the fun part. is not the dns server, I tested all this without connecting anyting but my wifi to the android...

I also configured a different router (not archer c50) with the exact dns and subnet, and works perfectly.... I think it's a bug in the archer firmware that makes androids fail to connect when they see this setup.

Options
2021-12-07 06:58:50

@TKwsNi 

Well that's a perfect timing to test that - you can go ahead and upgrade your C50 FW to the latest FW release I posted in my previous post.

Here's how to upgrade the router's FW (case 1).

Options
2021-12-07 07:57:33

@terziyski done and the issue persists

Options
2021-12-07 08:10:25

@TKwsNi 

What is the default DNS server obtained automatically on the router? What is the reason that you need to modify it manually to 192.168.0.1?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-12-08 07:07:36

@Kevin_Z The default DNS when is factory is 192.168.0.1 if I recall correctly.... and I need to manually modify the DNS server to in the DHCP server in the router to 192.168.0.104  as there is a local DNS server in that address that is needed for local computers in my network... the router default ip address is 192.168.0.1 I dont change that.

Maybe try it on any tplink router and then try to connect via wifi with your android phone (I have android 11)

Options
2021-12-08 09:54:41

@TKwsNi 

Can we have the specific brand and model of those Android 11 devices that having an issue connecting to the network once you manually change the DNS server to 192.168.0.104?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-12-09 18:09:39 - last edited 2021-12-09 18:10:13

@Kevin_Z 

Thats interesting, I never had the idea to test older android phones, I tried some old samsung tablets, zte phones and it works fine.

I tried on some Xiaomi phones with android 11 Poco X3, Redmi 7 Redmi 8, and they all fail with this setup, I also found that If i setup a second DNS like 8.8.8.8 keeping 192.168.0.104 as main dns it works fine with the xiaomi phones.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2113

Replies: 12

Related Articles