Archer C7 LAN speed maxed at 100mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-05 09:04:26 - last edited 2022-01-05 09:09:22
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

First I'd like to mention that I've checked probably all of the topics with similar issues in the forum and none helped.

I updated my ISP package to 500 Mbps (previously was 100 Mbps) and I noticed my desktop cannot pass ~95 Mbps in any speed tests.

My desktop is the only LAN connected computer that I use and my old network speed was in the range of the limit that I discovered so I am not sure if the issue occurred recently or was there since I purchased the router.

The limit is only when I use wired connection. With 5GHz WiFi I get close to 300+ Mbps.

What I did already:

• Confirmed my desktop LAN card is a gigabit one
  • Used Windows 10 on desktop
  • Used Manjaro on the desktop
  • Tested the speed with 3 different 1m LAN cables
  • Used all 4 LAN ports on the router
  • Restored factory settings
  • Updated to the latest version of the firmware (was updated already as there is no new version since 2018-05-14)
  • Purchased USB 3.0 Gigabit LAN adapter for my MacBook and tested with a brand new 1m cable
Options
12 Reply
Re:Archer C7 LAN speed maxed at 100mbps
2022-01-05 19:03:56

@IvanD 

Have you tried the suggested actions from this thread ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-01-06 07:16:58 - last edited 2022-01-06 07:18:29

My interface is completely different and I cannot find the pages that are listed in this troubleshooting guide.

I looked around in the settings but still couldn't find anything related to Negotiation Speed.

Options
2022-01-06 10:08:10

@IvanD 

Unfortunately the latest FW for Archer C7 v2 is with the old Green UI (User Interface).

There's no way to check/change ethernet port negotiation speed settings (like in the troubleshooting guide I posted) from this old WebGUI.

The other two things you could do is to:

1. Use another cable branded as CAT 5E or CAT 6 and test again.

You've already tested with a few different cables, but make sure the cable is of good quality (factory made) and with the category I mentioned.

2. You may test with another PC or laptop with a gigabit ethernet adapter and see if the speed goes above 100mbps.

You've done the testing with all four router LAN ports, but the problem may be with the other side of the cable (the client device ethernet adapter).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-01-06 10:43:28

1. I used factory made cables and all of them are CAT 5E

2. I did that too. I used two computers, please check my first post.

I am thinking about flashing DD-WRT just to have better access to more features.

Unfortunately this is my main and only router and I'll have to leave everything/everyone at home without internet for some time until that's done and I'm struggling to find a good time to do that.

Options
2022-01-06 13:24:36

@IvanD 

I understand your concerns. But there's nothing else you can do about this issue.

Maybe if you could borrow a spare router from a friend while doing the migration to minimize the impact on you Internet access.

Options
2022-01-06 13:32:15
Do you recommend trying DD-WRT?
Options
2022-01-06 13:49:57 - last edited 2022-01-06 20:14:24

@IvanD 

Uploading third party SW on your device will void the waranty, but since your device is not under waranty there's no need to worry about that.

But if you haven't done this before there's a pretty good chance you'll brick your device if you don't know what you're doing.

Many users claim that they feel comfortable with DD-WRT on their devices, so if you feel brave enough give it a go and see if it will suit your needs.

If migration went normal you should be able to revert back to your device stock FW providing that you're not happy with DD-WRT.

Options
2022-01-06 14:02:30
I think I can handle the upgrade. The weird thing is that the device is obviously not working as expected/advertised and I have no way of fix it.
Options
2022-01-06 19:32:53

I updated the firmware to DD-WRT latest version and it didn't resolve the issue.

It actually made it worse on the Wireless speed but that's probably bad configuration of the antennas and I'll handle this separately.

The LAN connection is still capped to 100 mbps.

Options
2022-01-06 20:39:17

@IvanD 

Still that proves nothing definitively. I would have excluded a FW issue from the very beginning.

You could email to support.forum@tp-link.com to ask for further suggestions and help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3760

Replies: 12

Related Articles