Archer AX20 5Ghz does not work in the apartment

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-07 09:04:00
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1_210902

Hello, 
I've got a question that's probably gonna mess with your head. I bought an ARCHER AX20 router
The 5Ghz is not working in the apartment unit. If I take the router outside the unit (on the balcony), it works. The router had default firmware + default settings, tested even after updating to the latest version. Interference measurements in the housing unit clean. Performed using Ekahau Connect's high-end equipment https://www.ekahau.com/how-to-buy/.
I am a network administrator and in 20 years of practice I have not encountered similar behavior. Any ideas ?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer AX20 5Ghz does not work in the apartment
2022-01-10 06:57:29

@Luc2as 

That's weird. But I want to confirm what is the default 5GHz channel the router is broadcasting by default when you try scanning. What is the channel when you take the router outside the unit (on the balcony) and connect to it fine? If the channels are different, I would suggest you change the channel to the same when it is connecting outside.

Is the 2.4GHz network connecting fine in the apartment unit?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-10 07:15:27 - last edited 2022-01-10 07:15:39

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,
the channel is in auto mode as all, which corresponds to 38.
2Ghz works perfectly fine. Yes it's very strange, I've never encountered such an anomaly in 20 years of working in IT. Below is a link to a video that proves it. The description below is in czech, but the video is clear proof.

I have the third piece and the behavior is still the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0AVDDPLl8I

Options
2022-01-10 09:56:25

Luc2as wrote

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,
the channel is in auto mode as all, which corresponds to 38.

Do you mean it is broadcasting at channel 36?

2Ghz works perfectly fine. Yes it's very strange, I've never encountered such an anomaly in 20 years of working in IT. Below is a link to a video that proves it. The description below is in czech, but the video is clear proof.

I have the third piece and the behavior is still the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0AVDDPLl8I

@Luc2as 

As per the video, it seems the 5G connection doesn't disappear, it is still connecting, but the ping test is not good and there were packages lost, right? What if you put the router far away from the laptop, will it get a better result?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-01-10 10:19:32

@Kevin_Z 

Unfortunately, the Ekahau network is not seen by wifianalyzer or any other device. I have tried all the rooms in the apartment further away from the router and still no connection, so the ping does not respond. Tried all electrical outlets. I even turned off the main electrical breaker and ran the Router from the UPS without success. If I leave the apartment with the laptop outside the front door the network comes up !
I also took the router to the adjacent apartment unit and it works normally at the neighbor's place. I have an old microtik 5Ghz and it works on the same channel. It's a mystery to me.

Options
2022-01-11 09:17:34

@Luc2as 

It's really a mystery, to us as well. We would like to escalate your case to our engineers, the engineering team will investigate to see if it is a concern in the router that can be resolved.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 572

Replies: 5

Related Articles