Differences between MR600 (EU), (AU), (ZA), etc.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-15 15:36:08
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210804 Rel.46439n

Hello everyone...

I recently bought an MR600 v2 (ZA), and it has a number of irritating issues that seem to be resolved in updated firmware for the v2 (EU) versions.  The ZA website has no firmware updates for my model at all.

Will I brick my device if I update it with (EU) firmware?

BTW, my RE300 repeaters are running (EU) firmware, so I don't quite understand whether it's just protocol or actual hardware changes between the different versions?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Differences between MR600 (EU), (AU), (ZA), etc.
2022-03-16 08:03:16

@ChristoSnake 

Hi, since your MR600 is ZA version, please don't update the firmware of EU version, if there is any problem, please provide more details and troubleshooting you've done, we will try to assist.

By the way, compared to Archer MR600(EU) 2.0, Archer MR600(ZA) 2.0 expanded frequency band of B41 from 2555-2655MHz to 2496-2690MHz to meet the requirement of local ISPs in South Africa, other functions are the same, thus it is able to work with RE300 EU version as well.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-03-16 17:39:44

@Sunshine Thank you for the quick response! 

I have the following problems:

• When using Smart Connect I am unable to specify the channel I'd like to use. My best 2.4 GHz channel for the router & repeaters combined is 11, but because my router lives in the middle of my house it does not realise that the furthest repeater requires channel 11. Therefore it often changes to another channel that it thinks is good, but which is in fact bad (from the furthest repeater's point of view). It mostly changes back to 11, but until it does that I can't always control my remote Tasmota devices via NodeRED.
  • I cannot scroll down when selecting devices for QoS. I can see four and a half devices on a FHD monitor, but would hate to buy a 4K monitor just to simplify adding decives to the QoS lists.
  • The not-so-very-hidden hidden SSID channel.  Not really a biggie, but it would be nice to be able to hide it like other firmware versions can. It gets quite busy when using a WiFi analyser tool!
  • There is an option to name clients on the MR600. Despite being in a Onemesh setup, these names do not get reflect on the repeaters, and the repeaters themselves do not offer the option of naming clients. This is most likely an enhancement request for the repeater firmware?

Thanks in advance,

Christo

Options
2022-03-17 10:09:20

@ChristoSnake 

Hi, 

1. When smart connect is enabled, the 2.4G and 5G WiFi are combined into one network, thus we are unable to specify the channel manually, if necessary, you could try to disable the smart connect and then specify the channel for 2.4G and 5G WiFi
2. What device are you using to manage the router and configure the QoS? if you try a different client device, is there similar issue?
3. You mean the hidden WiFi used for OneMesh, right? since you are using RE300 as well, I guess you would like to use OneMesh function, in that case, the OneMesh hidden WiFi is really necessary
4. You mean after you renaming the clients on MR600, correct name will be displayed when client devices are connected to the MR600, but when they move into the extended network, original client name will be displayed on the RE300, right? 

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-03-17 11:31:32

@Sunshine Thanks again for the answers.

1. It's a pity that manual channel specification and smart connect are mutually exclusive sad

2. I'm using the Archer's QoS. Here's an illustration of the problem - there are more devices below the red arrow but no means of scrolling down to access them once I've clicked on the "scan" button:.

3. Yes, I am indeed using OneMesh. Is the hidden network some form of WiFi backhaul / management network for OneMesh?

4. The RE300 devices don't seem to communicate properly with the Archer MR600. The Archer has the option to manually add names for devices that don't have their own hostnames, and I thought/hoped that those names would be communicated through to the RE300s.  Here's the Archer's view of the kitchen's repeater (3 clients);

... but the RE300 repeater itself says there are 6 devices connected, and only one of them has a "Device Name" (laptop's hostname). It is not possible to edit the device names for the devices at all on the repeater.

I presume the OneMesh updates between the repeaters and the Archer aren't done in real time, and also don't include device names given to them on the Archer?  The unknown devices on the RE300 repeater are things like Tasmota WiFi switches (that do actually have hostnames) and security cameras.

Thanks in advance for your response...

Christo

Options
2022-03-18 08:42:23

@ChristoSnake 

Hi, thank you very much for the detailed information.

Regarding the QoS and Client Information issue between Router and Repeater, we will report to senior engineer, if there is any update, I will let you know.

Regarding the hidden WiFi, yes, it is used to build up the mesh wireless network system, and it cannot be detected by the common wireless devices. You can refer to this article for more details:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/728

Options
2022-03-18 17:35:05
Thank you - that answers all my questions...
Options
2022-03-18 17:35:08
Thank you - that answers all my questions...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1350

Replies: 7

Related Articles