Secondary Deco Speed is Very Slow

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-04 17:18:53
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.7 Build 20210819 Rel. 43499

I've had the Deco M5 mesh system for just shy of two years now but just recently moved.  Our primary deco is now connected to an AT&T fiber modem/router.  The speed on our primary deco is great showing 193.4 down and 202.4 up.  I have our secondary deco sitting just two rooms away from the primary deco and I can only get 31.47 down and 7.77 up.  What could be causing such slowness?  Even when I had the pod in the same room with the primary pod it was only getting 50ish down.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Secondary Deco Speed is Very Slow
2022-04-05 12:12:21 - last edited 2022-04-05 12:13:28

@TheWrights03 

WiFi interference from household appliances, walls and other obstacles, distance between Satellite and Main Deco all cause WiFi speed degradation.

Main Deco speed is not that bad, but Deco M5 hardware can do better. I would suggest to start troubleshooting with it, because if Main Deco gets faster, so will Satellite Deco. 

What do you use to run speed test?

What is the Internet speed at your new place and what it were at your previous place?

Do you run Deco mesh in its default Router mode or in Access Point mode?

As for Satellite Deco, I would recommend to bring it back to the same room as Main Deco and connect to Main Deco using Ethernet cable. Run speed test after that on mobile device conncted to Satellite Deco, If everything is OK with Satellite Deco hardware, in that setup devices connected to it should get same WiFi speeds as devices connected to Main Deco.

If they don't, perhaps there are hardware issues with Satellite Deco, worth investigation.

If they do, I wonder if you have very many WiFi networks from your neighbors or other types of WiFi interference causing issues when Satellite Deco is wirelessly connected to Main Deco. Because, in my tests I can get up to 200Mbps from Satellite Deco M5 that is in the same room as Main Deco. 

-----------------

Also, one more thing: please turn off 2.4GHz in Deco Main Network and run speed test for devices that are only connected to remaining 5GHz WiFi band. Sometimes, WiFi band steering and dual-band causes WiFi performance issues.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1327

Replies: 1

Related Articles