Can I extend my home Deco M9 Mesh network via a switched backbone to a garden room

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I extend my home Deco M9 Mesh network via a switched backbone to a garden room

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-16 10:59:06
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

I have had excellent service from my dual M9 Plus Mesh network in my home

I am currently having a garden room built at the end of the garden and have had an ethernet cable backbone installed between the house and garden room

The intention is to have an unmanaged switch at each end and the main Deco connected to the router in the house

Can I simply plug the second unit into the garden room switch to have a single mesh network for both buildings

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can I extend my home Deco M9 Mesh network via a switched backbone to a garden room
2022-04-16 13:30:50

@ezlifeme 

Yes, you can do that, but check this document for helpful info: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
Re:Can I extend my home Deco M9 Mesh network via a switched backbone to a garden room
2022-04-16 16:20:12
Alexandre, thanks for the response. I had already looked at that link but it didn't seem to 100% suggest a solution. I think to avoid supplier clash I will buy tplink switches having seem the warnings about some dlink models
Options
2022-04-16 17:16:16 - last edited 2022-04-16 20:01:28

@ezlifeme 

At my house, I have Deco mesh with four units: two M9 Plus and two M5. Three out of four Deco units are connected with Ethernet cables to my home network.

After reading that document I shared, do you still have questions? If you do, I can answer them, based on my experience in using similar Deco hardware, and with similar to your setup.

-----------------------

Also, few more thoughts on that subject.

1. How many Ethernet wired devices do you plan to have in the garden room? Because, if none or just one: you don't need networking switch there. You can connect Deco in garden room directly to Ethernet cable, and you will still have one Ethernet port, second port in Deco M9 Plus, to connect another wired device to it.

2. If you already have networking switch in your garden room, and it happened to be not compatible with Deco, you may not need to replace it if you can wire Deco unit in the garden room the following way:

<--Ethernet cable from house-->Deco M9 Plus<--Ethernet cable-->Networking Switch

When you wire them in the above order, you can use any gigabit networking switch.

3. If you find after you moved Deco M9 Plus to garden room you don't have good WiFi coverage at your house with remaining single unit, I would suggest to bring M9 Plus back to the house and buy single Deco M5 for garden room.

Options
2022-04-17 08:23:17
Hi again I will have 3 ethernet connected devices PLUS the M9 as the room will be my WFH Office. I also will have smart home wifi connected devices. The House has a large range of similar scart devices and I wish to be able to ensure I have the one network to be able to control them all It seems from your reply that I should have no trouble using switches at either end of the ethernet connecting backbone The room is only at 1st fit electrics at the moment hence trying to ensure I cover everything before construction moves on Thanks for the response - If I have issues configuring I may well post another plea!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 587

Replies: 7

Related Articles