Microsoft Teams calls drop out and/or I freeze or they freeze

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-28 02:54:35 - last edited 2022-04-28 12:00:11
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20210308 rel.64655(5553)

I bought this router in 2020 but didn't get around to using it. 
I plugged it in in early 2022 and have not stopped having issues with Microsoft Teams ever since. 

The problems are:

1. It lets me join a Microsoft Teams meeting but then I either freeze, the incoming video/screen sharing also freezes, or it boots me out of the meeting altogether, within 20 seconds.

2. People can't hear me and I can't hear them.

I have tried numerous fixes including:

1. Changing wifi channels

2. Plugging ethernet cable directly to the 

3. Re-setting the router

4. Reinstalling Microsoft Teams

5. Trying with no video on (sound only)

Nothing has helped. Both IT at work and my ISP (Internode) say it's a router problem and have tried to work through lots of fixes.

I know it is a router problem because I have no problem at all when I hotspot via my iPhone SE 2020.

I am in Australia on the NBN. It is not possible to do some of the fixes suggested by TP-Link help desk such as connecting to the NBN box directly as we can't do that.

I am now at my wits end, having tried to fix the problem for more than 4 months, and even though this router cost $260 AUD I am looking at buying a brand new router which isn't Tp-link brand.

I have no problem using non-video MS Teams functionality.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Microsoft Teams calls drop out and/or I freeze or they freeze
2022-05-12 03:35:52

Hello @Simmitys 

Do you mean the issue persists even though you connect the computer to the C5400 with an Ethernet cable? 

What is the bandwidth you get from your ISP network, and what is the download and upload speed on this computer when you are trying to use Microsoft Teams calls?

Please refer to the instructions below to check and disable QoS on the C5400, and enable the NAT boost (Advanced > System Parameters > NAT Boost) to monitor again:

How to turn off the QoS feature on TP-Link Router?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-05-19 08:11:26

@Kevin_Z 

Hi,

Answers are below.

Since posting I have found that there is no issues using Microsoft Teams app on my son's school PC. The problem remains on my work PC.

I have no problems using Teams via Web on my work pc.

The app has been uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem remains.

1. Yes - the issue persists even though I connect the computer to the C5400 with an Ethernet cable.

2. Bandwidth from your ISP network:

The affected PC (work PC): Using "what is my internet speed" results on google

50.1 mbps download

12.7 mbps upload

My sons computer: Speedtest.net (this website is blocked for my work computer)

53.69 download mbps

18.32 upload mbps

3. Download and upload speed on this computer when you are trying to use Microsoft Teams calls:

The affected PC (work PC): Using "what is my internet speed" results on google

24.6 mbps download

10.9 mbps upload

30 seconds later:

43.4 download

9.86 upload

My sons computer on speedtest.net: 

53.86 download mbps

16.07 upload mbps

My son's computer using "what is my internet speed" results on google

46.5 download mbps

12.1 upload mbps

4. Please refer to the instructions below to check and disable QoS on the C5400

-there was nothing here to disable. I did not have QoS set, it is set to standard.

5.and enable the NAT boost (Advanced > System Parameters > NAT Boost) to monitor again

-this was already enabled.

It is evident that there is an issue between my router and my work computer using MS Teams however I work in a large organisation and no other staff are experiencing this issue. Also to note, this issue started the moment I changed to the TP Link router. I am at a loss as to what to do to fix it - for the moment I am using Teams on the web but would like to use the app like all other staff do.

This is also not a problem when I am in the office using their wifi so it's definitely related to this router.

Options
2022-05-20 11:24:44

@Simmitys 

Is there special software or application on this work PC that may interfere with the Microsoft Teams APP? Try to turn off all the other applications or software if possible, then run the Microsoft Teams APP. If you are not sure whether there is any application, you can try to restart the work PC in safe mode, then try to check if you can run Microsoft Teams APP when connecting to the router.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options