Speedtest and "Failed to test the speed. Please try again later."

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-02 08:22:20 - last edited 2022-05-05 03:53:02
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20211208 rel.49262

Skip this if you do not care about the story and go to Issue:

I have been using the AX6000 for the better part of the last 20+ months in a very high capacity. I have had very little if any issue with it up until now. On a daily basis I check my speeds before I start working. This is more of a me thing because I download on average 200GB a day as I am a "software" tester (not REALLY software, its unreleased video games for MSFT). So speed, accuracy, reliability and security are EXTREMELY important. Over the last 36 hours I have been experiencing some issues with speeds, connectivity and the built in Speedtest by Ookla. I have resolved the issue with the internet connectivity with my ISP and other connectivity issues with the Archer but Speedtest doesn't do its thing. The TP-Link dashboard for web browsers, the typical 192.168.0.1, loads fine, When you run the test it responds back the same numbers in a second or less. In the app I get "Failed to test the speed. Please try again later." So as to simplify this

Issue

Speedtest via browser returns the same numbers each time Run Test or Test Again is selected

Speedtest via TP-Link Tether returns Failed to test the speed. Please try again later.

Hardware: TP-Link Archer AX6000v1

Firmware: 1.2.5 Build 20211208 rel.49262 (updated 1 MAY 2022)

Browser(s) Tested: Firefox, Edge, Chrome, Tor

Phone App: Tether version 3.6.3

Repros: Every time

# of Repros: 20+

Repro Steps

Browser

1. Launch any browser
  2. Enter in http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 or http://tplinkwifi.net
  3. Login into the TP-Link router dashboard if needed
  4. Click on the Basic tab if not already selected
  5. Select the Speed Test icon that shows between the Internet Globe icon and the Router icon
  6. Scroll down to the bottom of the webpage and locate the Speed Test section
  7. Note the current speeds if any
  8. Locate the Run Test or Test Again button and select it to run the test

Actual Results: The speed report will load under a second and show the same speeds as before

Expected Results: Speed Test will take at least a few seconds and report a new set of speeds each time a test is run

Phone App

1. Locate the Tether app on your phone and select the app
  2. Connect to or select the router
  3. Once on the app's dashboard locate the internet speed section and select it
  4. The Test Internet Speed page will open, note the speeds if any
  5. Locate and select the Test button

Actual Results: An error will be thrown stating Failed to test the speed. Please try again later. Any further attempts result in the same error.

Expected Results: Speed testing will take a few seconds and populate updated results. All subsequent tests will populate similar but different results.

Suggestions from Speedtest and OOKLA

There are two main resolutions to fix an error like this according to Speedtest and OOKLA. First is to clear out the browser's cache. This is something that can be done in a browser but is not something that can be done easily in a router's dashboard. The only way to do this is to reset the router to factory and re-setup the router. The second suggestion is to change the server before starting the test. Another feature available in a browser but not something that can be done at all on the router.

Suggested Fix(s)

• Create a one click method for clearing the Speedtest by OOKLA testing cache that does not affect the running history
  • Create a dropdown that captures the suggested server list from Speedtest.net and allow the user to select the server to test their speeds from directly versus relying on the default server suggested by Speedtest.net
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Speedtest and "Failed to test the speed. Please try again later."-Solution
2022-05-05 03:52:56 - last edited 2022-05-05 08:07:50

Hello @zertoil,

This Ookla Speedtest issue has been addressed and fixed by Ookla, you can check and test the speed via the router web GUI or Tether app now.

Your suggestions for the Speedtest feature are also appreciated and we will feedback to the related department to check how this can be improved in the future.

Feel free to let us know if you're still experiencing an issue. Good day.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Speedtest and "Failed to test the speed. Please try again later."-Solution
2022-05-05 03:52:56 - last edited 2022-05-05 08:07:50

Hello @zertoil,

This Ookla Speedtest issue has been addressed and fixed by Ookla, you can check and test the speed via the router web GUI or Tether app now.

Your suggestions for the Speedtest feature are also appreciated and we will feedback to the related department to check how this can be improved in the future.

Feel free to let us know if you're still experiencing an issue. Good day.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 5287

Replies: 1

Related Articles