Can the firewall be temporarily disabled on the x90 Deco router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-01 06:16:48 - last edited 2022-08-10 03:28:08
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.22

I've just had a new Kelvinator split system aircon/heater installed in my home, and it has built in Wifi. The instructions to connect the split to wifi say that you 'may have to temporarily disable the firewall on your router" to get it connected. I assume because they must set it up in the cloud so that I can control the split system from outside my home, via their phone app.

I tried setting it up without changing the router but it fails. Is there a way to disable the firewall on the Deco x90 router? Some Google searching shows me that other Kelvinator owners had to disable theirs just for the setup, it works fine with the firewall on once it's been set up.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can the firewall be temporarily disabled on the x90 Deco router?-Solution
2022-08-10 02:17:18 - last edited 2022-08-10 03:28:08

Just to close this out, I tried a few times with my Google Pixel 6 and could not get the aircon set up, even with the Deco running only 2.4ghz with no beam forming or fast roaming.

On a whim I decided to try from an iPad I have, a gen 5 from a few years back. Sure enough it worked and the aircon is now set up...so certainly nothing to do with the Deco or SPI firewall as you suspected. Maybe some issue with the beta version of Android 13 on my Pixel 6.

Now it's set up I have turned 5ghz, beam forming and fast roaming back on in the Deco, rejoined the network from my phone and can manage the aircon via the Kelvinator app just fine, so all is good.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can the firewall be temporarily disabled on the x90 Deco router?
2022-08-02 06:34:09

@JuzDU 

Hi, there is no separate option to turn off the firewall on the Deco X90, and I don't think it is the firewall setting on the Deco that blocked the connection of Kelvinator split system.

Please refer to the following suggestions first:

1. turn off the 5ghz on the host network under Deco APP>More>Wi-Fi

2. make sure the wireless security is set to WPA2-PSK[AES]

3. turn off "Fast Roaming" and "Beamforming" under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

4. disconnect the Wi-Fi on the smartphone and reconnect to Deco X90 again and make sure the mobile data is turned off.

Then try to add the Air conditioner again on the mobile APP.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Can the firewall be temporarily disabled on the x90 Deco router?
2022-08-03 01:05:57

@David-TP thanks for the reply. I tried your instructions, going with 2.4ghz only and turning the advanced features off, reconnecting my phone and setting it up all over again, but it still fails to get the device connected to wifi. The Kelvinator app actually says "Please ensure the network has no restrictions such as a firewall, and the router is working in 2.4GHz band". It just sits there spinning on the part where it's trying to connect.

FWIW yesterday I tried using my old ISP's router and turning the SPI firewall off and still couldn't connect, it was using 2.4ghz only. I also tried backing the Deco off to WPA2 & WPA in case it needed something much more basic but still no luck. Thanks for the suggestions though. I've reached out to Kelvinator to see if I can get any more info from them.

Options
Re:Can the firewall be temporarily disabled on the x90 Deco router?-Solution
2022-08-10 02:17:18 - last edited 2022-08-10 03:28:08

Just to close this out, I tried a few times with my Google Pixel 6 and could not get the aircon set up, even with the Deco running only 2.4ghz with no beam forming or fast roaming.

On a whim I decided to try from an iPad I have, a gen 5 from a few years back. Sure enough it worked and the aircon is now set up...so certainly nothing to do with the Deco or SPI firewall as you suspected. Maybe some issue with the beta version of Android 13 on my Pixel 6.

Now it's set up I have turned 5ghz, beam forming and fast roaming back on in the Deco, rejoined the network from my phone and can manage the aircon via the Kelvinator app just fine, so all is good.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 674

Replies: 3

Related Articles