Very Poor Download Speed in Shared Hotspot Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-23 02:58:49
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: FW 0.9.1.0.3 v008a.0 Build 211025 Rel. 76009n(5553)

I purchased an AC750 TL-WR902AC to create a private WiFi network from an existing Public WiFi network. When using the device in "Shared HotSpot" mode and present a different SSID to connect to, my download speeds are ~10% of what they are if I connect to the WiFi directly.

For example, if the network SSID I'm connecting to to create a hot spot from is called PubNet. I connect to that with the TL-WR902AC and create a SSIDs called TPNET & TPNET5G.  If I connect to PubNet directly, I get ~220MB down / 15MB up, but when I connect to TPNET or TPNET5G, I get ~25MB down / ~12MB up, occasionally much worse. I've tested using several external WiFi networks to test if it was specific to the ones I need it to work on, as well as my home network, and all behave the same. It also doesn't matter which device I use to connect to TPNET or TPNET5G. All speed tests, streaming, etc. are very poor. I've also seen extremely poor downloads in the KB range when connecting to TPNET or TPNET5G making it unusable, and if I immediately switch my device to the PubNet WiFi, I get the performance I expect. 

Any and all help and insight appreciated.

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Very Poor Download Speed in Shared Hotspot Mode
2022-08-24 02:29:35

@CalgaryPete 

Are you connecting the WR902AC to the public 2.4G Wi-Fi or 5G Wi-Fi? Can I know what kind of public Wi-Fi, does it require any special setting on the WR902AC when connecting?

How about the signal in the location where you put the WR902AC? Please be sure it can receive a good signal from the public Wi-Fi in order to get a good performance.

What if you configure the WR902AC in Range Extender mode, will you get a better speed?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Very Poor Download Speed in Shared Hotspot Mode
2022-08-24 15:33:21
I am connecting to a 2.4G Public wifi that has a 100% signal strength and using standard WPA2 password authentication to access the network. I am situated just a few metres from the public WiFi antenna so signal is very strong. I am using no special settings on the WR902AC when connecting. Simply Hotspot mode in it's most basic configuration. In RE mode, it is the exact same behaviour. 10% of expected speed. When I connect to the actual public wifi, or any wifi for that matter, ie: my home network, I'm getting 200MB speedtest, but when using HotSpot or Range Extend, speedtests are ~20MB. I've also changed the FW from Build 211025 to Build 220329 to no avail. Same behaviour. Regards, CalgaryPete
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 271

Replies: 2

Related Articles