External aerial to use with deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-28 07:46:15
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

I currently have a home mesh system made up of four M5's, installed two years ago.

I have recently built a workshop at the end of my garden and It's too far te receive a WiFi signal.

I had the idea of adding an external aerial to the nearest M5 unit.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any cost effective solutions I could use?

Thanks in advance.

Options
7 Reply
Re:External aerial to use with deco M5
2022-11-01 06:25:15

@ReeceM 

Hi, if you add another Deco, the two Deco Mesh nodes will still communicate over wifi, and the long distance would still be a problem. By the way, how far is the workshop from the nearest Deco? Is the workshop gonna be under the same electric meter as the main house? How many devices in the workshop that need internet service, wifi, or Ethernet connection? If you can provide mode details, maybe I can give you more advice.

Thank you.

Options
2022-11-01 16:57:18

@Heidi_Alp 

Hi,

The workshop is around 10m, and I'd only be using an Alexa echo dot.

Options
2022-11-01 16:57:19

@Heidi_Alp 

Hi,

The workshop is around 10m, and I'd only be using an Alexa echo dot.

Options
2022-11-01 16:58:50

@Heidi_Alp 

Yes it would be using the same electric meter bu a separate fuse box.

Options
2022-11-02 15:56:38

@Heidi_Alp 

I seen someone else mention EAP225 outdoor, has anyone got any comments ref one of these?

Thanks.

Options
2022-11-04 08:36:23

@ReeceM 

# Yes it would be using the same electric meter but a separate fuse box.

Have you tried powerline adapters before since 10m would be great for powerline adapters? I am worried about the different fuse boxes since I see before some users mentioned it blocked the powerline connection. So if you could get a pair for testing purposes, it would be lovely.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/powerline/

EAP225-outdoor is ok and you might need to wire it to the nearest M5 via Ethernet cable, and It could broadcast WiFi more than 10m.

Options
2022-11-04 09:22:50

@Heidi_Alp 

Thanks for coming back to me.

I had thought of the power line adapters as an easy solution but because of the workshop fuse box also being connected via 56m of armored cable I thought this might not work.

So although it will require drilling holes in walls I feel I may go for the EAP225 option.

Any more thoughts welcome.

Options