Deco M4 does not (or takes too long to) connect devices to the closest spot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-23 01:58:36
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.5 Build 20220823 Rel. 41353

I have 3 Deco M4. 

Lets call them A, B and C. A is the main one.

If I start a speed test on spot A it get full 5Ghz speed. Then I walk to the front of B, a the speedtest gets slower getting less than 50 Mbps. If I check in the Deco app it shows that my phone is still connected to the device A. My phone shows 3 bars instead of four, event being almost inside the device B. How can that be? If I had to turn off an on my device wifi every time I change location I would have bought cheaper devices. Was not mesh intended to to this change automatically?

No, I have not check with other devices. I have my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G with Android 12 and this Network should work fine with it.

I also have checked and both beam forming and fast roaming are on.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M4 does not (or takes too long to) connect devices to the closest spot
2022-11-23 12:10:58

@guilherme88 

I have the same system and just purchased new mobile. Having the same issues.

The only way I could keep it working as it should was to disable the security option, so no password to connect. Now it works as it should, but no security. Any thoughts??

Options
2022-11-23 12:24:56

@Kevcrane 

What option? In the mobile device or in the Deco settings?

Could please tell more about it so I can test it?

Thanks

Options
2022-11-23 12:44:28

@guilherme88 

Deco WiFi settings on the android app.

I changed from having wpa2 security to not using a password. Tried it and all seems to work now. Been testing for a day or two and seems better. Wish I new why this works??

Options
2022-11-23 12:56:20
I see.. Maybe I'll try that by the weekend, just for curiosity's sake. However, this is not an option in the long term, as my solar panel inverter is connected to my network and it requires a secured connection (at least the guy who set it told me so). Maybe there is some software update that fixes this problem. Waiting for a solution.
Options
2022-11-23 13:11:17

@guilherme88  It's the best I could get. I've been pulling my hair out trying different things. I would also like my security on. Hopefully a patch/update  will come out soon. I will let you know if things change.

Options
2022-11-23 14:20:38

@guilherme88 

I would recommend against running WiFi network without password. Anyone nearby could access your home network through unsecured WiFi connection.

As for original question, see this document: Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System

Options
2022-11-24 00:56:30

@guilherme88 I have same problem with my Deco M5 system. My iphone was not connect to closest spot. 

Options