BBox + two TL-WR802N do not behave correctly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-23 15:52:52 - last edited 2023-01-23 16:25:02
Model: TL-WR802N  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 3.17 v0001.0 Build 200623 Rel.63672n

I have an internet router type BBox by Bouygues in France. It connects to the internet through fiber optics and provides 3-ethernet ports and a wifi access point. Normally this suffices for a regular home.

However, in my apartement I was compelled to install the BBox at a place far away from the living room and bedrooms, so the wifi could not reach to where the computers were. I decided to add two WR802N in access point mode, each connected to the BBox using the ethernet cables that run in my walls (a nice feature), and each providing a wifi access point to either ends ot the apartment, so that a good connection is achieved in every place.

I set both WR802N with the same SSID and WPA passphrase, but on one I set the wifi channel to 1 and on the other I set the wifi channel to 11, so that no overlap could occur. The computer automatically select the closest access point to connect. The DHCP is disabled in both.

This installation works fine as far as internet access.

When it comes to computer-to-computer communication, the things are not so nice. The file sharing through Windows network is either slow or impossible, for some reason. The Canon printer is not always reachable.

I tried to ping every node of the network, and then I have the following results :

-from the bbox itself, every node responds.

-from the WR802, only those nodes that are connected to it by wifi respond, except the printer

-from my computer, I can ping both WR802's, including the one it is not connected to, and the Bbox, but no other node connected to the same WR802 as my computer responds.

In short, I cannot ping another computer on the LAN. the Ping application responds "unable to access destination host".

I have very little knowledge about the routing mechanismes, the ICMP protocol, etc. I tried to understand the traffic on my wifi adapter using Wireshark, but I could not conclude anything.

Is there something wrong in my configuration?

Options
2 Reply
Re:BBox + two TL-WR802N do not behave correctly
2023-01-23 16:41:20 - last edited 2023-01-25 00:59:06

@Phono 

You setup seems fine as long as what you've described.

Another thing that may block ICMP packets are the Windows integrated firewall - make sure that ICMP packets are allowed on these computers - details.

This is less probable cause - you mentioned that you can ping every node from your BBox device.

Another thing you could try is to update the TL-WR802N firmware to the latest version - here.

The last but not least - the problem could be due to a network connection type - make sure that all wireless networks are set as Private network - details.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:BBox + two TL-WR802N do not behave correctly
2023-01-23 16:46:13
About the firewall, would it block a ICMP request for some senders and not from others? As you can see, the Ping failure for the computer next to mine depends who performs the Ping : when it is from my computer it fails, but from either router it succeeds.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 328

Replies: 2

Related Articles