Logs inundated with IGMP Warnings "V2 igmp router occured! Not matching ours"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-12 08:29:59 - last edited 2023-05-12 08:31:49
Model: Archer VR1200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 0.9.1 v009e.0 Build 220518 Rel.41627n

I am suffering daily disconnections, which I am attempting to monitor. However the System Log is completely inundated with messages:
Type: IGMP;  Level:  Warning; Log Content: "V2 igmp router occurred! Not matching ours".

As these messages are occurring about every 2 seconds, they prevent collection of the real data I want, namely, the date and time of each disconnection.

Previously, setting the System Log to Minimum Level: "Information" ensured that such data was collected, along with the Up and Down speed and data load, and direction of the connection.

Please tell me how to exclude these rogue IGMP messages, or could you kindly provide a Firmware Upgrade which provides the option of excluding them from the logs.

Many thanks, in advance.

KASpencer

--------------

Options
4 Reply
Re:Logs inundated with IGMP Warnings "V2 igmp router occured! Not matching ours"
2023-05-16 06:27:10

@KennethS 

Hi, when checking the system logs, you could save the log file, even though there are many logs about the IGMP Warnings, you are still able to check all the other logs to monitor the internet connection.

Besides, regarding the daily disconnection, please help to confirm the following details:

1. Will all client devices lose internet at the same time including wireless and wired client devices, or only random wireless client devices disconnect?

2. Is there any changes on the LED when the issue happens? especially DSL and Internet LED

3. When the issue happens, will it recover automatically in a few seconds or minutes? or it only recovers after a reboot?

4. When the issue happens next time, please don't reboot the modem, login the web interface, share with us screenshots of Advanced->Status page and the system log file.

5. May I know who the ISP is? and is it ADSL or VDSL line?

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Logs inundated with IGMP Warnings "V2 igmp router occured! Not matching ours"
2023-05-16 11:36:38 - last edited 2023-05-16 11:44:03

@Sunshine 

Thanks for the reply.

Answers are:

FIRST I do save the log file(s), but there are so many messages about the IGMP  issue that the log files are filled within minutes, and so the data about disconnection is lost.

If the details about the disconnection were present I could live with the IGMP messages. There needs to ba an "Exclude IGMP messages" option.

1. I believe that all devices lose their Internet connection at the time of router disconnection, BUT, because the System "DSL Down" message is never captured (see above) I do not know the exact time that the router disconnects. (EDIT: The "DSL Down" message is never captured when the IGMP message problem is present. Otherwise it is captured.)

2. Generally I have not seen any difference in the LEDs, but the router is in a cupboard with the rest of the network stuff, and is not in clear vew.

3. The router reconnects automatically, usually after a very short time. When it disconnects in the absence of the IGMP issue it often reports.

Here is an extract from the Log, at a time when the IGMP issue was not present, and all messages were being recorded properly:

2023-05-14 00:53:33 [5] System: DSL Link Down
      2023-05-14 00:53:36 [6] PPP: Terminating on signal 15
      2023-05-14 00:53:36 [6] PPP: Connect time 821.5 minutes.
      2023-05-14 00:53:36 [6] PPP: Sent 209963444 bytes, received 1760641340 bytes.
      2023-05-14 00:53:38 [5] System: DSL Training
      2023-05-14 00:53:40 [6] PPP: Terminating on signal 15
      2023-05-14 00:53:43 [5] PPP: Connection terminated.
      2023-05-14 00:53:43 [5] PPP: Release PPP unit success
      2023-05-14 00:53:43 [5] PPP: Modem hangup
      2023-05-14 00:53:59 [5] System: DSL Link Up us/ds 0/32398 kbps Type 64/65B PTM Annex B

You can also see that the speed is quite a lot lower than my contracted maximum speed (56Mbps) but I am taking that up withy my ISP.

The reconnections since April have shown a marked decrease in speed:

20230419:04:23.47 DSL LINK UP               at 44974 kbps

20230422:05:51:00 DSL LINK UP               at 44780 kbps

20230424:03:07:00 DSL LINK UP               at 39999 kbps

20230425:02:11:15 DSL LINK UP               at 34999 kbps

20230428:16:48:12 DSL LINK UP               at 34999 kbps

20230507:17:43:00 DSL LINK UP               at 34999 kbps

20230510:05:00:00 DSL LINK UP               at 34999 kbps

20230511:05:00:00 DSL LINK UP               at 34999 kbps

20230514:00:53:59 DSL LINK UP               at 34999 kbps

20230514:03:40:35 DSL LINK UP               at 32398 kbps

20230515:03:25:11 DSL LINK UP               at 29999 kbps

(NB.: these figures have been copied from the log files into a report which I am producing to send to my ISP. But I guarantee that they are

exactly the data shown in the log after the disconnection and automatic reconnection.)

4. I will do that: I do not however reboot the router routinely because it automatically reconnects.

Note that messages logged preceding and following the disconnections are completely normal and I have therefore not included any.

I never reboot the router after a disconnection, as reconnection seems to be automatic and quick - as shown in the above log extracts.

I will do that. I did wonder, however whether a router reboot clears the IGMP issue, as after a reboot that ceased. It will restart again at some point, however.

5. My ISP is PlusNet.. The connection details are: VDSL2, Annex Auto, PPoE.

In case you are interested, here is the status current report:

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (kbps) 9630 29999
Max Rate (kbps) 9615 55959
SNR Margin (dB) 6.4 12.2
Line Attenuation (dB) 6 18.4
Errors (pkts) 57 0

Thanks for your help! Sorry its a long reply!

Kenneth Spencer

==============

Sunshine wrote

@KennethS 

Hi, when checking the system logs, you could save the log file, even though there are many logs about the IGMP Warnings, you are still able to check all the other logs to monitor the internet connection.

Besides, regarding the daily disconnection, please help to confirm the following details:

1. Will all client devices lose internet at the same time including wireless and wired client devices, or only random wireless client devices disconnect?

2. Is there any changes on the LED when the issue happens? especially DSL and Internet LED

3. When the issue happens, will it recover automatically in a few seconds or minutes? or it only recovers after a reboot?

4. When the issue happens next time, please don't reboot the modem, login the web interface, share with us screenshots of Advanced->Status page and the system log file.

5. May I know who the ISP is? and is it ADSL or VDSL line?

Options
2023-05-17 08:18:57

@KennethS 

Hi, regarding the system log, we are unable to exclude IGMP messages only, but in order to save the whole logs, you could consider enabling "Save Remotely" under Log Settings to save the whole log to your local PC.

Note: you will need to install third party log view tool that supports syslog protocal to monitor or view the logs in real time, such as LogViewPlus, here are the steps:

1.Download LogViewPlus

https://www.logviewplus.com/

2.Click Open Log File>>Click the PC screen icon>>Data Sources>>Add.

Follow the below link to set up:

https://www.logviewplus.com/docs/syslog.html

3.Go to Web UI of router>>advanced>>system tool>>system log>>log settings>>enable Save Remotely>>Set Server IP to the IP of the PC you use to monitor.

4.Go back to LogviewPlus and double-click the file.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-05-17 10:03:07

@Sunshine 

Thanks for the suggestion of installing a Syslog manager.

Unfortunately this would not resolve the basic issue.

FEEDBACK (provided fot the attention of TP-Link designers)

As an experienced user, and previously a professional web and software designer,

I find that the logging support of the VR2100 incomplete and unsatisfactory.

Rather than make a series of extensive comments on the Logging system, might I

suggest that a designer examines the System Logs of a Netgear Router such as

the VWNR1000v3.

Its reporting of remote connections, and most other activity is far more accessible

and complete than that of the VR2100. Furthermore it does not require the

purchase of additional software to complete missing functionality in viewing the logs.

There are other improvements which could be made but I suspect that designers

operated under the old adage:

"Just like a book, software is never completed, merely abandoned."

You may close this thread as I cannot quite see that the issues which I have raised

will be resolved, but I do thank you for your prompt replies and attention.

Kenneth Spencer

Options