2.4Ghz WiFi on M4 really, really bad.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-12 17:03:14 - last edited 2023-06-12 17:05:05
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20230201 Rel. 37427

I have never been able to get 2.4ghz to work well on my Decos. It is slow and "lumpy" with very bad ping times and very bad up/download speeds (1or 2mb's sometimes). I've tried relocating them multiple times, I also have a network analyzer to check for bleed and overlap. I even tried switching everything else (WiFi related) in the house off.

Is this just the way this band is with these things or do I have faulty equipment? The 5G works very well, no complaints there at all, but I have a bunch of home automation stuff that needs to run off the 2.4G and sometimes it's so slow it won't even send a few bites of data to a device to tell it to switch on or off :-(

Any suggestions on things to try, very much appreciated.

Cheers,

LE

Options
1 Reply
Re:2.4Ghz WiFi on M4 really, really bad.
2023-06-12 19:45:17 - last edited 2023-06-12 19:45:51

@Lotus_Eater 

It is possible your home automation hardware does not understand band steering, dual-band and/or WiFi mesh roaming. 

To start with eliminating different possibilities, do this: Turn off 5GHz band in Main Network, leaving it 2.4GHz only. Check if that makes your equipment work better.

Your other devices, such as smartphones, should also work on 2.4GHz. Might not be very fast, but speeds of 100Mbps and up should be expected. 

If smartphones do work OK on 2.4GHz, but home automation hardware still has issues, the next step will be to power off all Satellite Deco. That would disable WiFi mesh functionality, as you now have just one WiFi router: Main Deco.

Hopefully you have at least one or more home automation units that can reach Main Deco and stay connected to it. Test them now: if they work better than before, the issue they have is with WiFi mesh specific functionality.

---------

After you've completed these tests, you can undo changes and power on Satellite Deco.

---------

For the reference: I have smart plugs and security camera, all from TP-Link, they run on 2.4GHz band from my Deco mesh (M5 and M9) and have no issues.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 588

Replies: 1

Related Articles