Xbox server connectivity blocked, but NAT type is open.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-01 21:18:38
Model: Archer AX10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 20230619

I want to play xbox games with my friend, we couldent as the game said "Cannot Connect To Host" and as such I found out that the Xbox console companion, in the networking tab, said NAT type Open, Server Connectivity Blocked. I have finally came to the conclusion that the router is for some reason not letting UPnP work. I was so fed up I was just going to forward the ports myself. Then looking up the ports that Xbox network uses, I noticed something strange. I saw the Teredo connection comming from my computers ip, and it was asking to open a seperate port than the port that xbox says that teredo uses. I cant remember the exact port number and for some reason the teredo UPnP client is now gone; but it was somewhere around the ballpark of 49533, while the xbox port is 3455. I am wondering If this is the genesis of my problems.

Options
14 Reply
Re:Xbox server connectivity blocked, but NAT type is open.
2023-08-02 00:41:13

@Osanixian 

Hi,

I've tested this on one of my computers.

The port that Teredo opens via UPnP (displayed in the router's "UPnP Service List") seems to be random. I saw different 5-digit numbers at different times.

However, even if I disable "UPnP" on my router (in my case an AX50) "Server connectivity" still keeps saying "Connected". So, to me it doesn't actually look like "Server connectivity" depends on the NAT type and port forwarding.

By the way, have you already verified the "Server connectivity: Blocked" problem goes away if you connect your computer directly to your Internet connection? (I mean, disconnect the cable that plugs into the Archer AX10's blue "WAN" port and plug it into the computer instead)

Options
2023-08-02 13:34:26 - last edited 2023-08-02 13:47:59

@woozle 

I tried looking into getting the WAN cable connected to my pc, but when inserted, the computer said it couldn't identify, connect, or see the connection. I looked it up and found this Reddit thread that says hooking a pc directly to WAN is a bad idea. Nonetheless, If going through (Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Set up new connection>Broadband) is the correct way to set up an ethernet connection, I don't have the information needed to do that. But I do have some extra information to share! This nat type and server connectivity is very fickle. Before I did anything (when the issue started/was found), Xbox said Nat Moderate, Connection blocked. But, after tinkering with UPnP and DMZ, It changed to nat type open, blocked. Then after spending lots of time looking up solutions, I said screw it, made the original post, and manually forwarded the ports. It then said Nat open and connected. But then I saw on the port forwarding website that Astroneer (the game I want to play with my friend) also needs port 8777 forwarded, so I did that and launched the game with no success. I then checked Xbox, and it said nat type strict and blocked. Ever since, Xbox has been saying Teredo unable to qualify and Blocked. I tried turning off everything except UPnP (so I turned off all the port forwards and DMZ (DMZ host is my computer's IP address)) and nothing changed. Since then I have kept everything the same, and it still says Teredo unable to qualify.

I hope this detailed history helps you understand the issue more deeply. I thank you for your input and hope to hear from you soon.

Edit: I must also say that the light marked with the circle and halo is orange (it turned off when I took out the WAN).

Options
2023-08-02 16:48:46 - last edited 2023-08-02 16:49:17

Osanixian wrote

@woozle 

I looked it up and found this Reddit thread that says hooking a pc directly to WAN is a bad idea.

Well, if the Windows Firewall (or whatever other firewall is installed on the computer) has been switched OFF, then it would be a bad idea. 

Osanixian wrote

@woozle 

Nonetheless, If going through (Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Set up new connection>Broadband) is the correct way to set up an ethernet connection, I don't have the information needed to do that.

Ok, so I guess that means the Internet connection settings of your Archer AX10 were configured by someone else and whoever it was didn't forward that information to you?

By the way, the reason I mentioned connecting the computer directly to the Internet is that if it still showed "Server connectivity: Blocked", then we would be able to rule out the AX10 as the cause.

What I've read about Teredo is that Microsoft has specifically developed it as a means to get around the IPv4 NATs that might exist between the user's computer or Xbox and Microsoft's servers, without requiring the users to know anything about things like UPnP or port forwarding.

I mean, it's still an advantage if the users know how to setup their networking hardware to achieve an "Open NAT" condition, but it should also work without it. (below a screenshot that shows how it looks like when UPnP is switched OFF and no port forwarding whatsoever)

I've now done that network test on all three Windows 10 computers I own and on one of them it did actually say "Blocked". Since I knew it couldn't be a router issue (as the two other PCs showed "Connected") I went with one of the Windows troubleshooting guides for this exact issue. (I used this one https://windowsreport.com/xbox-console-companion-server-connectivity-blocked/ )

In my case it actually turned out to be an incorrect system time. After correcting the system time and then clicking "Check again" the Companion said "Connected".
(Just as background information. This PC is a dual-boot Linux/Windows machine and switching between Linux and Windows somehow always messes up the system time by two hours)

Osanixian wrote

@woozle 

Edit: I must also say that the light marked with the circle and halo is orange (it turned off when I took out the WAN).

It's surprising that you are able to access the Internet at all if the AX10's Internet light is always orange and this is definitely not normal. It should be green. (light turns off if WAN is unplugged is normal, though)

Where is the cable that connects to the blue WAN port of the AX10 coming from? I mean, is there another device connected to it or does the cable just end at a wall?

Options
2023-08-02 18:02:11

@woozle 
Yes the internet connection was set up by my father, but that should not be a problem as he does not have the habbit of hiding information.

I knew you wanted to check if the router was at stake by moving the WAN, and I thought that would work as I thought I had my router correctly targeted, but since you are suggesting that it may be an issue with the computer and not the router I will go through the checklist again and try to see if that fixes it, It may be different now as it says nat type teredo unable to qualify, instead of nat type moderate.

The Internet light was bothering me for a while and was off and on constantly, but now (hopefully) fixed itself.

My dad says the WAN cable is coming from a box(?) in the basement.

To reiterate:

The Xbox says Teredo unable to qualify and blocked, I will go over the link you sent me and hope that fixes things. I will then come back with my results.

Options
2023-08-02 21:17:19 - last edited 2023-08-02 21:22:55

@woozle 

I have done the deed.

I have now to say that Xbox networking says that the Nat Type is Strict Teredo is Unable to qualify. And Server Type is Blocked.

I checked multiple times and the nat type alternated between: Strict, Strict, Teredo, Teredo, Strict, Teredo, Teredo, Teredo.

Options
2023-08-02 21:55:21

@Osanixian 

While going through the troubleshooting steps did you notice anything that was different than what it says it should be?

Apart from that, could you maybe post a screenshot of your Archer AX10's "Advanced" (the large icon near the top right) Status page? I am interested to know if your router acquires a public IP address or a private IP address. You can black the rearmost two parts of the IP address for privacy, if you wish. (like the screenshot below)

Options
2023-08-02 23:31:39 - last edited 2023-08-02 23:39:41

@woozle 

I mostly did not, the only thing that may have been different is the settings I defaulted for the windows firewall. I must also say that I have eset antivirus premium. Other than that the only things that were different was the networks as the bluetooth and ethernet were on. Maybe also the comand prompt teredo, but I have no way of checking what that setting was beforehand.

Since you asked, you will reciveimage

Options
2023-08-03 00:31:12

@Osanixian 

I have never used eset antivirus premium myself.

Can you see a way turn it off temporarily, so that you could test if it affects the Xbox Companion connection? (I mean without uninstalling it)

Options
2023-08-03 15:32:01 - last edited 2023-08-03 15:34:06

@woozle 
I tried that by turning off all the network (Firewall(note windows firewall was still on) Network attack protection, and Botnet protection) and internet protections (Web access prevention, Anti-phishing, Email client protection, and antispam) It still said that teredo was blocked.
So I found this* post on the eset forums talking about how teredo was blocked. 
I looked on the windows firewall rules and saw both teredo rules were on, So why is teredo unable to connect? Should I attempt to turn on the port forwarding rules for the xbox ports on the router? Or is something else going on.

Also thanks so much for sticking with me through this issue, it means a lot.

*https://tinyurl.com/58j926ps

(I had to make this a tinyurl bc it said the link was illegal)

Options
2023-08-03 21:59:18 - last edited 2023-08-03 22:00:36

@Osanixian 

As per the screenshot you sent earlier, the Archer AX10 has a public IP address assigned on its WAN port, which is good.

Given that, you should get the "Open" NAT type by just enabling UPnP on the router.

If you still worry about port forwarding, then enable "DMZ" on the AX10 (menu "Advanced > NAT Forwarding > DMZ"), enter the IP address of your computer in the "DMZ Host" field, click "Save" and then run the Xbox connection test again. The DMZ feature will basically forward ANY incoming connection on ANY port to your computer. If that doesn't solve the problem, then forwarding of just some selected ports won't work either.

But here is another idea. Are there more than just this one computer running Windows 10/11 available at your home?

If yes, then run the connection test on the other computers as well and see what it says there. Provided Windows 10 is fairly up to date you don't actually need to install that Xbox Companion or any other stuff, because that connection test is also available from the Windows "Settings" > "Gaming" menu on every computer by default.

By the way, after you've started the Xbox Companion or opened the Settings > Gaming menu and ran the test, then always run it another time via the "Check again" button. I noticed that the first run of the test sometimes gives a different result that all subsequent test runs. Not sure if this may be a bug or not.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1873

Replies: 14

Related Articles