Extender RE505X does not see 5GHz Smartphone hotspot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-03 12:25:47 - last edited 2023-08-08 00:50:48
Model: RE505X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm trying to extend Wi-Fi hotspot signal from my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra. 

When phone is set to 5GHz the extender does not see it during scanning. Manually adding SSID does not work either.

Extender sees the host smartphone only when it's tethering is set to 2.4GHz but the wifi band is congested in my location and I get really poor results from it in 2.4GHx mode.

Note that I can connect to the same 5GHz host smartphone from my laptop or other phones with no problem.

Is there a way to make RE505X see hotspots made from smartphone in 5GHz mode? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Extender RE505X does not see 5GHz Smartphone hotspot-Solution
2023-08-03 13:30:26 - last edited 2023-08-08 00:50:48

@QuietNoise 

Hi,

Smartphones are notorious for broadcasting their wireless hotspot in the 5 GHz band on channels 149 and higher, even if they are made for the European market. (if you want to verify this install a (free) wireless analyzer software or app on your laptop or phone and check it out)

However, most other Wi-Fi equipment made for the European market doesn't support channels higher than 144.

So, in case your RE505X was a "EU" model (can be confirmed by looking at the label on the RE505X), then that is likely be the reason for the problem you are facing.

I remember older Samsung smartphones allowed for manual selection of the "Broadcast channel" used for the hotspot, but I fear that is not the case anymore on recent models.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Extender RE505X does not see 5GHz Smartphone hotspot-Solution
2023-08-03 13:30:26 - last edited 2023-08-08 00:50:48

@QuietNoise 

Hi,

Smartphones are notorious for broadcasting their wireless hotspot in the 5 GHz band on channels 149 and higher, even if they are made for the European market. (if you want to verify this install a (free) wireless analyzer software or app on your laptop or phone and check it out)

However, most other Wi-Fi equipment made for the European market doesn't support channels higher than 144.

So, in case your RE505X was a "EU" model (can be confirmed by looking at the label on the RE505X), then that is likely be the reason for the problem you are facing.

I remember older Samsung smartphones allowed for manual selection of the "Broadcast channel" used for the hotspot, but I fear that is not the case anymore on recent models.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Extender RE505X does not see 5GHz Smartphone hotspot
2023-08-08 11:49:57

@woozle Hi,

Yes, the extender is for EU market and so is the phone. Does it mean there is no hope to get this working in my scenario in its intended market?

Options
2023-08-08 20:05:19

@QuietNoise 

According to this post in a Samsung forum

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s10-series/5ghz-hotspot-channel-change-problem/td-p/1715182

it looks like this has been an issue for users for several generations of smartphones already.

So there is probably not much hope that Samsung is suddenly going to change it.

Options
2023-08-08 21:49:12

@woozle 

Thanks,

Are TP-Link extenders for other markets able to see them high broadcast channels from modern phones? If so why they don't do that in EU versions is it some legal thing?

Options
2023-08-08 23:22:55

@QuietNoise 

TP-Link extenders intended for the USA or other countries that have adopted the US regulations are able to work with channels 149 to 165.

I don't know the specifics about the legal rules, but none of the major manufacturers sells Wi-Fi routers or extenders in Europe that can work on those channels.

Options
2023-08-09 12:29:37

@woozle 

Thank you for all your help and replies. I think we exhausted the subject.

It's still weird that I can connect to the phone's 5GHz hotspot from my laptop, PC dongle, chromecast, TV but not with the extender that's marketed as one which will work with every wifi router.

It's probably in the realm of "his fault, her fault" now as to which company should address the issue on their end. IMHO neither smartphones nor extenders should be limited of their capabilities as people travel cross continents quite often nowadays and them tech companies can't expect people to have seperate devices for each region.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 803

Replies: 6

Related Articles