Archer C6 rebooting LAN connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-19 14:13:50
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.7

I started having this problem this year and I am running out of options

So, to start all of this off, I have an ATX Gigabyte B660 Gaming X motherboard, which contains a Realtek Gaming 2.5Gb E Family Controller LAN port. To pair up with this, and planning to get higher network speeds in the future, I got a 12 meter 7A LAN cable which hasn't suffered any physical problem since I bought it last year with the router.

The network issues have been going on since February and usually leads to my network speed being dropped to 100mpbs, despite it still receiving 1Gbps. For some reason, this connection reboot sequence starts happening only when I open up a game, and it stops when either it drops my connection speed down, or after literal minutes of attempts. This will start over again if I decide to open a different game. Being on a Discord call or browsing the internet does not create these problems.

List of things I've done to try and fix this:

• Flush and renew DNS and IP
  • disable autotuninglevel
  • update and uninstall network adapter driver (currently running Gigabyte's suggested version for my motherboard)
  • Reset network adapter settings
  • Updated and factory reset router
  • Changed cable ports on router (speed went back up to 1Gbps if I waited long enough, but the issues would come back again)
  • Remove and insert LAN cable on PC (same scenario as last point)
  • Factory reset Windows 10
  • Disable NAT Boost
  • Enable QoS
  • Change MAC Clone setting to "Use current Computer MAC Address"
  • Put a book under it in case of overheating
  • Increase Address lease timer to 2880 minutes (suggested by my boss, last fix I've tried)

One thing I haven't done is check the lease timer on the Vodafone router, but I have my doubts about it since no one but me can access it and I haven't touched it in an year.

Feel free to ask for more information if needed. There's also a rar file with the recent logs (didn't save the logs before factory resetting, my apologies).

File:
syslog-2023-08-19.rarDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C6 rebooting LAN connection
2023-08-19 16:18:35

@demonipo 

Hi,

Will the connection be stable if you connect the PC with the Gigabyte B660 motherboard to the Vodafone router, instead of the Archer C6?

Have you already tried to fix the Speed & Duplex mode of the Ethernet controller to 1 Gbps, instead of using Auto Negotiation?

Options
2023-08-19 18:12:20

@woozle I can't connect to the Vodafone router since it is on a different floor, I also don't have any laptop available with a LAN port unfortunately.

That was one of the first things I saw and even specified on a former post I did. Whenever it goes down to 100mpbs, the router has that speed set without any way to change both on it or in my PC (besides going lower to 10mpbs).

Regarding the network adapter settings, I disabled Advanced EEE, EE Ethernet, gigabit lite, green ethernet, Power Saving Mode and changed WOL & Shutdown Link Speed to "Not Speed Down".

Options
2023-08-19 18:37:31

@demonipo 

If the LAN ports of the Archer C6 V2 (Qualcomm Atheros chip) aren't able to reliably negotiate an 1,0 Gbps connection with the Realtek 2.5GbE chip, then there is not much you can do about it.
Make sure the Ethernet cable is really okay (!) and try the latest driver from August 2023, but that's pretty much it.

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Options
2023-08-19 18:43:42 - last edited 2023-08-20 16:43:49

@woozle here's the gist, though: it initially detects a 1Gpbs speed in negotiation. Even after all the resets I had earlier today, it stayed at 1Gbps (which happens once every week or 2). After I take the cable out and insert back in, it negotiates to the highest speed possible. I do notice that there's massive CPU load spikes which is weird since it doesn't shut down during game downloads and even games where there's no internet connection make it reboot like crazy.

Should I change the router? Since I'm considering an upgrade to 2.5Gpbs network speed, it can be a chance that I need a router with more CPU power

EDIT: got access to the vodafone router settings, I'm going to increase the lease time to 2 days. It seems to have been in 1 hour by default, despite not having this problem for months. I'll see if it works

EDIT 2: it didn't work

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 450

Replies: 4

Related Articles