Setting up with my new BT router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-19 14:15:25
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

Hi there I'm looking for advice on setting up my system with my new BT smart hub 2 i was orignaly with sky for brodband and now i'm switching to BT. What do you recomend the best settings are for wifi reliablity of the system and wifi speed also the settings? 

Kind regards 

Thomas Smith 

Options
10 Reply
Re:Setting up with my new BT router
2023-09-19 20:12:14

@thoma 

Hey Thomas

This would really depend on what connection type BT has offered you, basically are you FTTP or FTTC? 

FTTP is where your new hub connects to a small white fibre box in your house (known as a ONT), from this there is a network cable going to the BT hub.    Usually this offers speeds of 150mbps or higher.

FTTC is older, its where the last bit of the connection is copper and therefore your hub connects directly into the "telephone socket".  There is no ONT or fibre direct to your house.

Options
2023-09-20 07:21:49
Hey Philbert, I have a modem so i believe that will be a FTTP connection from BT
Options
2023-09-20 08:37:57

@thoma 

If its a Modem, then its likely not an FTTP connection, rather an FTTC.   Take it you have had this modem a long time?   Post a picture if you can so we know we are talking about the same thing..    what speed are BT offering you?  that will also help to confirm

The BT modems used to be white, around the size of the hub itself and sat flat under the hub..    Sadly the new ONTs are white also, but a lot smaller and BT usually wall mount these.    Sadly how you set this up depends entirely on the connection type

Options
2023-09-20 12:01:11 - last edited 2023-09-20 12:01:25

@Philbert I have had the Modem since i have moved in which was about a year ago my brodband package through BT is the Full Fiber 100 packadge.

Thank you 

Options
2023-09-20 12:06:10 - last edited 2023-09-20 12:06:35

@thoma 

Hey

That is what is confusing me, if its an FTTP Fibre 100 you wont have a modem, but you likely will have an ONT and the BT Hub.   FTTC however would have a modem and a BT Hub.     

If its only a year old, would say its strange to have a modem..  you can post a picture?

The modem from BT looks like this, is below what you have?

Options
2023-09-20 14:08:38

@Philbert This is what i have installed. 

BT box Caption

Options
2023-09-20 20:49:40 - last edited 2023-09-20 20:52:08

@thoma 

Hey Thomas

Ah that helps massively thanks!   That is indeed an ONT, basically its just a converter from fibre to RJ45 LAN cable so that give you two choices on how to set this up, both work so its just personal preference.

1 - Use the BT Hub as the Main Router, with Deco as Secondary Router

In this setup you simply connect your BT Smart Hub WAN Port to the ONT LAN port, then disable the WiFi on the Smart Hub as you will be using Deco for WiFi.    Next connect the Deco to one of the remaining LAN ports.   On the Deco Internet setup, you will just select AUTO or DHCP and this should work out of the box for you with no real fiddling required, connect everything to the Deco.  Only the Main Deco should be plugged into the BT Hub.    Note... you need to use this setup if you are going to have BT VOIP (HD Phones) as they require the BT Hub operational.

Downside of this setup, you have 2 routers so XBOX, Playstation and others may nag you about STRICT NAT as technically you are forwarding the traffic via two routers.   This is also known as Double NAT, while not an issue for most cases, some things are funny with it on occasion so you will have to setup port forwards to correct any issues.   XBOX and PS tend to be the main culprits imho

2 - Remove the BT Hub and plug the Deco straight into the ONT

Forget about the BT Hub and plug one port of the Main Deco into the ONT LAN port, now configure the WAN setup as PPPoE.  This will ask you for a username and password, its bthomehub AT btbroadband DOT com   with a password of BT.  Sorry had to split that up as forum wouldnt let me post the address, hopefully makes sense!

Once you have done that you should be online in a min or two.. no BT hub required, no double NAT or Strict NAT issues..   BUT also no HD Phones (as they require the hub)

Hopefully that helps!!

Options
2023-09-23 14:28:15

@Philbert Good Afternoon,

I would like to check what the password is for connecting the TP link system directly to the ONT so that i don't have to use the hub that BT have supplied

Thank you

Thomas Smith

Options
2023-09-23 21:36:03

@thoma 

Hey Thomas

The username and password as in my last post.  Its an email address so the forums wont let me post it..  quoted below

username and password, its bthomehub AT btbroadband DOT com   with a password of BT

I will try and see if it allows me to post a picture of it..

OK that worked :)

Options
2023-09-24 15:54:00

@Philbert Thank you that's what i was a little confused on but now you have sent it to me like that it makes seance now. 

Thank you 

Thomas Smith 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2046

Replies: 10

Related Articles