Streaming delay before to start a video (Youtube, Netflix, Instagram, ...)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-07 14:42:22
Model: Archer AX53  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230627 rel.39033(4555)

Hi,

On all my iOS devices (iPhone or iPad), I have few seconds delay before the video start.

The nperf iOS app failed to test the streaming bandwith.

When using the routeur in "Access point" operation mode, its OK, video start immediatly and the nperf is OK (and very good).

I try to disable any 'intelligent" features (IPv6, QoS) and configure DNS 8.8.8.8, but the same. I also try to set the MTU to 1400 as I could sometimes be a solution.

But its the same issue again and again.

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot

Options
7 Reply
Re:Streaming delay before to start a video (Youtube, Netflix, Instagram, ...)
2023-10-08 09:10:24

@JulFR020 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

Please try running speedtest on speedtest.net website or using Ookla SpeedTest App to test the router speed on iOS devices when it works on router mode and also AP mode to see if there is a big difference or not.

By the way, who is your ISP please? is the Archer AX53 usually connected to your ISP modem or another router?

Please try disabling smart connect, then set WiFi channel and channel width manually for 2.4G&5G WiFi to see if it makes any difference.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-10-08 10:17:25

@Sunshine 

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

My router is directly connected to my ISP box which has an 1 Gb Fiber connection.

Speedtest or Nperf bandwidth, and delay are excellente on both test (iOS 16 on iPhone SE 2020)

The Nperf app, which has a complete test with a streaming on 360p 720p and 1080p on YouTube, shows the issue with streaming flows : the video is too long to be loaded, and fails.

I see the same problem when watching videos on YouTube app, and others apps with videos , like Netflix or Insta.

The issue is only when the app load the video, but after something like 5 seconds, the video start and after its perfect.

We have this issue with every iOS or iPadOS, but there is no issue with macbook, which is on the same wifi.

Important thing : when using the AX53 in level 2 operation mode (Access point mode), the issue disappears, and all videos load instantly.

But, in accesspoint, the wifi extension with RE700X is not available (and I buy this routeur for this reason). When using only the routeur (without wifi extension) the issue is the same.

I would be very happy to be able to intercept traffic with a wireshark like sofware, but it becomes difficult with iOS (need jailbreak ...)

I will try to disable the smartconnect, but do you think that smartconnect is a mandatory feature to use wifi extension with the same SSID everywhere on the house?

Options
2023-10-08 10:28:56
To illustrate the issue with a concrete example: Iphone SE 2020 with iOS, and a speedtest with more than 200Mbps up and down. I quit speedtest app for youtube and choose a video : - video loads (with a blackscreen) during around 5 seconds, and then starts with a good quality - each youtube Ads, stop the video and start the Ads : again 5 seconds for each Ads. But when the video has finished the loading time, then the video is perfect, no issue.
Options
2023-10-08 11:17:40

@Sunshine 

I try to disconnect Smart connect  :

- Disable SmartConnect

- Remove the RE700X wifi extension and disable also the EasyMesh

- Reboot the router without SmartConnect & EasyMesh

Result : the video are still very long to load :( 

And then I try again with a test in operation mode "Access point" (and reboot) and this time the test is a success : 

It seems something in the router features adds a delay in the video loading, which is very annoying, especially with all the Ads which take all 5 seconds to load ...

Options
2023-10-08 11:41:09

@JulFR020 

To assist you efficiently, I've forwarded your case to the TP-Link support engineers who will contact you with your registered email address later. Please pay attention to your email box for follow-up.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2023-10-08 12:38:19
Thank you very much.
Options
2023-10-09 01:24:56

@JulFR020 

You are welcome, and please let the Community know if the issue can be located or solved.

Options