Extending mesh through solid wall?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-12 18:43:19
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a mesh WiFi set up in the house and it works really well, we had 3 units. Then we build an extension in the attic space of our attic, so we bought an additional x20, some of the time it works really well but other times in this new room the WiFi is cutting out. I assume because the walls out to the new room are much thicker.

Am I missing a way to help my set up? I have looked at powerline adapters and I wish I stead of adding the extra x20 I had bought two p9s and replaced my main deco and added the other to the new room but I am thinking adding these two to the 4 we currently have is excessive. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Extending mesh through solid wall?
2023-11-12 20:35:28 - last edited 2023-11-12 20:36:56

@Summer_Solstice 

In Deco app, if you open info page for Satellite X20 in the attic, it'll tell you the quality of link between it and rest of Deco mesh. Example:

If you see Weak or Poor Signal, that could mean Satellite Deco is too far and can't establish good connection to the rest of Deco mesh. That'll prove your suspicion. If Signal is Fair or Strong, the issue with WiFi cutting off might be somewhere else.

This page will also show you where Satellite X20 is connected to. Often, Satellite Deco prefers connection to Main Deco, even if there is another Satellite Deco closer to it. If attic X20 connects to Main Deco which is few floors below, that could case issues with WiFi stability.

For some Deco models with proper firmware that connection can be configured manually. See the following document: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

If you have that feature in Deco app, use it to connect attic X20 to Satellite Deco which is the closest to it.

Other than that, using powerline link is a good idea. You don't need to buy P9s for that. Just get pair of TP-Link powerline adapters, place one in attic and one near Main Deco. If these powerline adapters can establish link with each other, connect attic X20 to attic powerline adapter and second Ethernet port of Main Deco to powerline adapter near it. If everything works like it should, you'll see in Deco app that attic X20 is now connected to Main Deco through Ethernet.

I would recommend TP-Link Powerline Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit - AV1000 (TL-PA7017 KIT). 

Options
Re:Extending mesh through solid wall?
2023-12-11 14:46:54

@Alexandre. I wanted to come back and thank you for your reply. I followed the steps you suggested and now have stable internet in the new room with the power line adapters. I really appreciate your help!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 912

Replies: 2

Related Articles