Deco M9Plus configuration questions/doubts

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-26 13:54:57 - last edited 2023-11-26 13:56:48
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.2

Have had these decos working for a couple of years now, but since recently I tried to make some changes and they are not working right anymore, so I am planning on reseting all of them (I have 5 of them at home) and starting configuration from 0

That said, there are a couple of questions I am not sure about.

First, is it possible to have the decos installed in vertical position? Well I know it is possible as I bought one of those Chinesse brackets from Aliexpress and have one installed that way. I guess the right question to ask is: do they perform worse in that position? Because somebody told me they perform worse that way as the WiFi antenna works as a "donut" wave kind of thing and if the deco is installed vertically the donut wave is going up and down, instead of 360 degrees horizontally to it, is this true? Because I saw new models state they can be installed horizontally, vertically in a wall or even upside down in the ceiling...

Second, can I link the decos by network cable FROM the principal deco as a star using an 8 port network switch:

ROUTER--NetwCable--DECO1--NetwCable--

SWITCH--NetwCable--DECO2

SWITCH--NetwCable--DECO3

SWITCH--NetwCable--DECO4

SWITCH--NetwCable--DECO5

instead of linking like:

ROUTER--NetwCable--DECO1--NetwCable--DECO2--NetwCable--DECO3----NetwCable--DECO4--NetwCable--DECO5

Many thanks in advance everybody

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M9Plus configuration questions/doubts
2023-11-26 16:18:25

@me61ic 

I have Satellite Deco M9 Plus wall mounted for about two years. In fact, the reason I went with Deco from TP-Link is because I needed to wall mount one of WiFi mesh units and from all brands and models I could find only Deco M9 Plus had the right form factor and third party wall mount holders.

Maybe WiFi experts with professional tools can demonstrate the (subtle) difference in WiFi signal levels between wall mounted and tabletop Deco M9 Plus, but for me that is not important. What's important is members of my household no longer complain of WiFi issues after I deployed Deco mesh at my house. That wall mounted M9 Plus is quite busy in my house, and as I said: no complains.

I would recommend to keep Beamforming on in Deco app Advanced settings, it is on by default.

You can hardwire Deco units the following way:

If you plan to run Deco mesh in Access Point mode, you can also hardwire Deco units the following way:

It would be preferred for AP mode, because wired traffic will not go through Main Deco unnecessarily.

You can find more info on topic of Ethernet backhaul here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2023-12-16 22:27:31

@Alexandre. Thanks for your configuration information.  I liked your idea about configuring the Deco's as AP and connecting them in parallel all behind the switch.  On the linked page you provided, TP-Link specifically states not to do that.  Can you comment on that?

Options
2023-12-17 00:45:48

@OneFromFL 

TP-Link states not to do that if Deco mesh runs in Router mode. Which is also what I told you: this configuration only works when Deco mesh runs in Access Point mode.

I have three Deco, including Main, in that configuration: connected to the switch, which connects to router. My Deco mesh in AP mode runs that way with no problems, since the day I bought it.

Options
2023-12-17 08:32:11

@OneFromFL 

I tried connecting 3 of my decos after the switch and in ROUTER mode and they are working perfectly well, better than ever. My configuration is somewhat different than in the picture crossed.

The configuration I am using is:

Router - Main DecoM9 - Switch and then 3 DecosM9 linked to the switch and works perfectly well in Router Mode

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 457

Replies: 4

Related Articles