Wired backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wired backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wired backhaul
Wired backhaul
2023-12-05 14:35:54
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

I asked tech support the following question, and the response also below.  I didn't find the response to offer too much in the way (none) of advice, but I'm a but confused as a first time mesh user, as Iwas under the impression that a node recognised when the ethernet was being used, and that over rode the wireless communication.

I'm really just trying to get to the bottom of why I'm getting drop outs in connection on the PC connected to node 2.

If the advise had been "you need another node", that's fine.

I do realise that powerine connection is far from the best option, but direct ethernet connection is not practical.  Am I expecting too much from a system that's marketed as !whole home WiFI"?

Hi

I have recently installed an M4 system, and am looking for some advice.

The nodes are set up in AP mode, as the Sky hub does not support bridging.

Nodes 2 and 3, are showing as "fair" signals, but the main issue I am facing is that Node 2 as shown on the attached plan, has intermittent drop outs (this is attached to a PC via ethernet, as WIFI connection was very slow, which I attribute to the PC itself).

It is not a big house, although I do appreciate that the signal from the main node 1 is travelling upstairs.

Ethernet connections for backhaul is not practical, so I'm wondering if it's a possibility to connect Node 2 via powerline adapter?

This would have to be done by connecting it direct to the router, as both Node 1 ethernet ports are in use ( 1 to the router, and the second to the Sky Q box).

Is that feasible? I guess I would be using the router as a switch of sorts?

So in other words:   Router ethernet port > powerline adapter> powerline adapter upstairs> node 2>ethernet to PC

Thanks for any advice or other suggestions

response:

It can't, the powerline is not just a switch, it's also a network device, and it doesn't fulfill the purpose of the ethernet backhaul that Deco is trying to do. 

Even if the Deco 2 is wired to the powerline, it is still communicating wirelessly with the main Deco.

We look forward to hearing back from you. If you have additional information or feedback to provide, please feel free to let us know.

Please expect the email reply within 1 business day.  For urgent assistance please contact our Live Chat/Phone support with your ticket reference number.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#LiveChat-Support

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wired backhaul
2023-12-05 15:23:49 - last edited 2023-12-05 15:27:24

@Blue1905 

What you want is absolutely going to work for Deco mesh in AP mode: Router ethernet port > powerline adapter> powerline adapter upstairs> node 2>ethernet to PC

I just had conversation about powerline adapters in another forum thread, posts #2 and #4, so check it and ask follow up question here if you have any: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/644952?replyId=1288118

In that conversation, replace M9/M5 with M4 and it'll be applicable to your case.

Options
2023-12-05 16:10:56

@Alexandre.  Thanks, I had a feeling that the support response was simply a lazy reply.

Options
2023-12-05 18:08:43

@Blue1905 

By the way, if there is TV cable (coax) that terminates in Bedroom 3 where your Node 2 is, and another end of that TV cable is near switch or router, I can offer you another wired link option which could be better than powerline.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 488

Replies: 3

Related Articles