Old Powerline Adapters?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Old Powerline Adapters?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Old Powerline Adapters?
Old Powerline Adapters?
2023-12-13 19:04:43

Hello, 

I can't add my model number for some reason, but I  have a pair of Powerline adapters, model numbers are TL-PA210. It looks like they were discontinued in 2014/15.

I have tried using them with my laptop and more so with my Xbox series X. The Xbox connection seems to be much worse than wireless and will frequently not connect, plus match making settings via the NAT type are massively affected. 

Before I buy new ones, I wondered if it was likely due to their age and possibly being no longer supported or similar? 

Thanks! 

Options
13 Reply
Re:Old Powerline Adapters?
2023-12-17 21:44:50

@Ccooaattssy 

This PLC model is pretty old with a status "End of Life" - they are rated at 200Mbps. That's pretty much the reason for wireless connection being faster.

You definitely should use a more recent model.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-07 23:09:32

@terziyski thank you. 

I went out and bought the below: 

TP-LINK 300M Wi-Fi Extender Booster & 600MBPS Powerline.

I am connecting my Xbox series X to the Wi-Fi extension adapter via Ethernet which is linked to the powerline adapter and the router (all by Ethernet)

Initially it seemed to work well, however I now seem to get NAT type errors on the Xbox and the connection doesn't seem to establish correctly. I am assuming it's a setting on my router and how it's talking with the adapters and Xbox, but any ideas? 

Options
2024-01-08 05:40:05 - last edited 2024-01-08 08:54:50

@Ccooaattssy 

It would be helpful to give more details about the TP-Link products you bought and the network topology you use to connect your Xbox.

Usually the device model is printed on the bottom sticker of the devices.

Details about the Xbox NAT type errors and your router make/model would be helpful as well.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-08 11:06:52

@terziyski 

Thanks for this. It is a TP-LINK TL-WPA4220 with a powerline adapter N300. 

The TP-LINK TL-WPA4220 is upstairs connected via ethernet to the xbox. The TP-LINK TL-WPA4220 is connected to the Powerline adapter N300, which is connected via ethernet to my router. 

I am in the UK and using BT Fibre Broadband, the router/hub is the BT Smart Hub 2. 

I managed to use the set up for a short period and noticed much better gaming performance on the xbox, however now having issues! 

I also have a TL-WA850RE on the same network, however this provides wireless connection to another room - not sure if this may be causing issues? 

I am assuming the issues are IP address/settings related! 

Otherwise, a very simple network set up. Thanks in advance!

Options
2024-01-08 14:06:28

@Ccooaattssy 

OK, So what kind of issues exactly you're experiencing - you mentioned something about Xbox NAT type errors - give us some more details on that.

Why do you think there is a IP address/settings issue - anything specific ?

In which mode do you use the TL-WA850RE - RE or AP ? Whichever it is, make sure its DHCP server is disabled.

Make sure that you're with the latest FW release on the device - TL-WPA4220 KIT(EU)_V5_1.0.12 Build 230309

Post a screenshot of the powerline network:

Options
2024-01-08 16:30:11

@terziyski 

I have attached a screenshot from the app, not sure if this is what you need? Not sure why it is just as "undefined" though...? 

On the TL-WA850RE-EXT, DHCP settings were "on" which I have now "disabled" - what does this do, please? I am using it in Range Extender Mode at the moment (its in a spare bedroom, connected to the smart hub only via wireless). I do use the ethernet port on it for a computer, as its more stable than wi-fi.  How do I update this on the app? The firmware is 1.0.12 Build 221109.

I am experiencing weird issues to be honest, the xbox will say its connected, and apps like youtube will work, however if you run a network check on it, it completely fails and the NAT type is constantly being searched for but never establishes as open, as it was previously. 

I assumed IP/DNS issues due to xbox saying "teredo" as the issue and just randomly not being able to connect. I have tried static IPs etc to no avail. 

Thank you!

Options
2024-01-08 22:03:00 - last edited 2024-01-09 00:13:02

@Ccooaattssy 

TL-WA850RE DHCP server should be disabled so the only DHCP server on your network would be the BT Smart Hub 2.

Use the PLC WebGUI (via computer browser) for upgrading its FW or the tpPLC utility - here's how.

As for the TL-WA850RE, its latest FW release is TL-WA850RE(EU)_V7_1.0.13 Build 231115  - here. Observe its bottom sticker to confirm its HW version - here.

For the "teredo issue" - check this link.

Options
2024-01-08 23:00:33

@terziyski 

thank you, I will update this. 

However, is it possible that both devices are interfering with each other/the router? 

I have tried to connect wirelessly to the WPA4220 and struggled on Xbox, mobile, laptop, etc.

The "main" network ie connecting directly to the smart hub also seems to be temperamental so maybe some issues caused by having all of them? 

Very frustrating! 

Options
2024-01-09 00:21:07

@Ccooaattssy 

You can easily test this by disconnecting all devices but the BT Smart hub 2 and connect to its wireless network.

If your BT Smart hub 2 doesn't provide a stable connection itself then it doesn't matter if other devices are working properly.

On the other hand here's how other appliances can affect Powerline products performance.

Options
2024-01-09 17:21:26 - last edited 2024-01-09 17:21:51

@terziyski 

Thank you, there's definitely some more testing for me to do I think! 

I'm connecting fine to all 3 today on my phone. The speed is a bit lower on the WPA4220 but not massively.  I assume if this device is providing wireless, it's also connected to the powerline linked to the router? 

Are there any settings on the home hub 2 that I should check for the Xbox? 

I just want the Xbox connected via powerline as it made a big difference to the experience when I first set it up! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1205

Replies: 13

Related Articles