IP address of Mesh Nodes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

IP address of Mesh Nodes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
IP address of Mesh Nodes
IP address of Mesh Nodes
2024-01-19 19:44:00
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 build 20210414 rel 58075

my network set-up has 4 Deco M4 nodes, 3 of them with a wired backhaul, one wirelessly. I am very pleased with the result: performance, reliability, ease of use / control. In order to maintain control over a home with an increasing amount of smart devices, I tend to implement a scheme with "ranges" of IP addresses assigned to specific functions. For example, devices connected to a Homeasssitant application. The Deco supports a very simple amd effective means to assign reserved ip addresses, but only as of subaddress ....10 upwards.

Now, while organising my clients, I noted that the mesh nodes themselves are also in that range, where for no particular reason, I had expected the nodes to start at .1 and then up with the # of nodes. This is however not the case: node ip addresses are asssigned from the free range. The nodes' ip address are not shown under "online clients" but can be seen in the visualisation of the network.

My question: is it possible to force the assignment in such a way that my four nodes have a reserved address in the range with .1..10 range ?

I realise this is perhaps "much ado about nothing" but still, I am interested to understand the "why" of a reserved range and then not using it (as far as I can tell).

Thank you !

Options
4 Reply
Re:IP address of Mesh Nodes
2024-01-21 14:45:23

@Flipje1955 Can you give an example?

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2024-01-22 17:30:45

@ImtiazAli 

thank you for your inquiry !

Looking at my network hierarchy, I have the main (mesh)router at address x.x.68.1, the 2nd one has x.x.68.11, the 3rd one x.x.68.15. None of these devices are listed as client if I visualize the "Online Clients" list. Which in a way is fair as the nodes are in the strict sense not a client. 

Then, if I wish to assign fixed addressed to my clients, TP-LINK says, "feel free to do so" but in chosing address, it must be in the range x.x.68.10 and up.

I have not tried - so ignoring TP-LINK's instruction - if I do address address reservation on the nodes and - with the above listing - I would assign the 2nd node to x.x.68.2. Hence my questions: why reserve the range x.x.68.2 up to x.x.68.10 and why not allow the nodes to be put in there.

Hope this helps. Thx !

Options
2024-01-24 08:21:31

@Flipje1955 I have a similar experience. My main Deco M4 is on x.x.68.1, and the satellite is on x.x.68.100.

When I go to address reservation, it says to choose between x.x.68.100 and x.x.68.250.

Try changing the limit from the Deco app (More> Advanced> DHCP Server)

Just a M4 (2-pack) user who regrets buying it
Options
2024-01-24 08:57:08

@Flipje1955 Thank you !

Your message confirms what I believe is the design: the nodes get their IP address from the DHCP server, so from the allocated space, being that 10..250 or 100..250, that does not really matter. There is no way to fix the nodes with addresses outside / before the dynamic pool range.

So this is what happens: the main node is activated with address x.x.68.1 and when further nodes are added they get an address from the pool but these nodes are - contrary to other devices - not identified in the client list. So, I could up trying to reserve an address allocated to a node (perhaps there is a check to prevent that, I have not tried)

Let's not try to deepen this out this further; it appears a design choice.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 970

Replies: 4

Related Articles