Understanding my IoT network usage - What kind of devices to connect?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-03-09 14:22:53
Model: Archer AX53  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I need help understanding my IoT network usage.

I have an AX53 router and I tried today to add a connected bulb which is not very recent (and which only works in 2.4Ghz) but upon installation it does not recognize the unified 2.4Gh/5Gz wifi network.

Rather than separating my 2.4Ghz/5Ghz network, I saw that there was the possibility of activating the IoT network which is a specific network for connected objects. I was thinking of enabling it only for the 2.4Ghz frequency band.

Is it a good practice to do this?

On the 2.4 GHz IoT network:
Echo Show Alexa, Google home mini, alarm, surveillance camera, connected sockets, connected bulb, Fire Stick TV, connected bathroom scale, connected toys...

On the main unified wifi network (2.4Ghz/5Ghz):
Laptop, smartphone, Xbox console, printer, Android tablets...

In this case, will I be able to access the connected elements (starting and stopping the alarm, turning on the bulbs, etc.) outside my home?

thanks for your advices

Archer AX53
Options
5 Reply
Re:Understanding my IoT network usage - What kind of devices to connect?
2024-03-09 15:38:19 - last edited 2024-03-09 15:46:47

@OliJ 

Hi,

Have you already verified that the light bulb is actually able to connect to the Archer AX53's 2.4 GHz network if Smart Connect is disabled?

In case it is able to connect while Smart Connect is off, will it stay connected when you re-enable Smart Connect again?

Options
2024-03-09 17:06:20
@woozle Thank you for your answer, no I haven't tried But I think that if I deactivate SmartConnect I will have to re-configure all my devices already connected to my currently unified wifi because it will separate my wifi into 2 distinct SSIDs (one in 2.4Ghz and the other in 5 Ghz) ?
Archer AX53
Options
2024-03-09 17:50:26

@OliJ 

I didn't mean to suggest separating the networks permanently. I merely suggested to test if the light bulb will connect to the Archer AX53 at all, because there could be a reason other than Smart Connect for the light bulb not connecting.

So, pick a time when no other people are using your Wi-Fi network, disable Smart Connect, then test if the light bulb will connect or not, and then enable Smart Connect again. After that everything will work just like before, nothing will have to be re-configured.

Options
2024-03-09 19:45:14

@woozle 

and what are the use cases that lead to the use of the IoT wifi ?

Archer AX53
Options
2024-03-10 02:55:17

@OliJ 

If you'd like you could read this article here https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/501928 that illustrates the general idea of an IoT network.

However, the way it is implemented in TP-Link's home routers, the "IoT network" is basically just another SSID with different security settings and password, using the same Wi-Fi radio as the main network.

As mentioned in the TP-Link article I linked to above, a second wireless network like the "IoT network" can be very useful if the main network is configured with WPA3 or WPA2/WPA3 Transitional security, but there are one or more older device(s) that can't cope with this new security standard or the mixed mode and require standard WPA2-AES or WPA-TKIP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2211

Replies: 5

Related Articles