WDS internet status issue

2024-03-19 14:58:21 - last edited 2024-03-19 22:11:39
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200416 rel.72485(5553)

Hello there!

I has been trying to set up the WDS on my Archer A9, the main router is ISP Hitron CGNV5 (I have not access at all to that router).

When I set up the 2.4 GHZ WDS it works just fine, but when I try to set up the 5 GHZ WDS it does not work.

To start, when I click on survey it won't detect the 5 GHZ from the ISP router. If I manully input the MAC address and SSID, then it broadcast, but I have to keep the DHCP server enabled (meaning the final connection has no internet) because when I disable it devices will just fail to connect. Any troubleshooting here, ideas or workarounds?

Thank you all.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WDS internet status issue-Solution
2024-03-19 20:22:20 - last edited 2024-03-19 22:11:39

@Vivica 

" I'm able to connect if I leave the DHCP  server enabled, otherwise it just won't connect. "

That's because WDS is not built and the main router DHCP server is not available to serve the A9 or its clients.

When you leave the A9 DHCP server ON you can connect only to the A9 network but you don't have a WDS built and internet access through A9.

In general upon successful WDS connection A9 DHCP server should be disabled and only main router DHCP server active - here's the guide.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:WDS internet status issue
2024-03-19 15:11:16

@Vivica 

This could be due to Hitron CGNV5 is transmitting on DFS channels (5GHz) that A9 doesn't support.

On the other hand you can use A9 support page and update A9 FW to its latest FW release.

Not sure if that would help in your case but at least you'll be with the latest update for your A9.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-19 16:30:07

@terziyski Tank you for your swift response! It seems the problem is with the ISP router as the 5 GHZ status got stuck on "Assoc" and reading old threads here there should rely the problem. Anyway thank you for the firmware update :) 

Options
2024-03-19 18:08:54

@Vivica 

As you stated " ...when I click on survey it won't detect the 5 GHZ from the ISP router " does that mean you can't see the 5GHz SSID at all, or you can see and select it but building the WDS is impossible ?

Options
2024-03-19 19:45:03

@terziyski The 5GHz SSID can be seen on all devices, but when I click on "Survey" the 5GHZ simply dosn't appear. When I put the MAC address and SSID I'm able to connect if I leave the DHCP  server enabled, otherwise it just won't connect. I've tried both with the MAC address displayed when surveing the 2.4GHZ and the MAC address that shows on the connection details for the 5GHZ SSID on other devices, but it just keep failing.

Options
Re:WDS internet status issue-Solution
2024-03-19 20:22:20 - last edited 2024-03-19 22:11:39

@Vivica 

" I'm able to connect if I leave the DHCP  server enabled, otherwise it just won't connect. "

That's because WDS is not built and the main router DHCP server is not available to serve the A9 or its clients.

When you leave the A9 DHCP server ON you can connect only to the A9 network but you don't have a WDS built and internet access through A9.

In general upon successful WDS connection A9 DHCP server should be disabled and only main router DHCP server active - here's the guide.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-03-19 22:13:38

@terziyski Not completly sure if that alone fixed the problem, because I was able to find the admin IP and login credentials to the IPS router and set the channel of 5GHZ to a fixed channel, but finally make it work. Thank you so much for your guidance and patience!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 522

Replies: 6

Related Articles