Deco XE75 certain machines cannot access certain websites

2024-04-24 20:48:00 - last edited 2024-04-24 20:51:21
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Very strange problem that has me tearing my hair out. I've got a mesh network consisting of 3 XE75 nodes, connected by an ethernet backbone and accessing internet via a Virgin modem (I'm in the UK). This has been working without problems for well over a year, and I've not made any changes to configs for some time.

Last week, two different machines connected to the network (one on a wired connection, one on wifi, both running Windows 11 and google chrome, all up to date with updates) started behaving unusually. Two websites I use regularly, bbc dot co dot uk and reddit dot com completely refused to load on my chrome browser (everything else is working normally). I get one of two errors:

This site can’t be reached

XXX unexpectedly closed the connection.

or

This site can’t provide a secure connection

XXX sent an invalid response.

Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I get the same error on MS Edge browser, but I can access these sites normally on firefox. On another laptop with the same Windows 11, chrome setup, same user account everything works perfectly normally.

If I change network by connecting via my phone's hotspot, or using my work wifi, then everything works normally. So, it's something related to my home network.

On my laptop, in frustration I've done a completely clean reinstall of windows, and installed only chrome. Disabled all extensions, run in incognito mode, disabled QUIC, checked date/time is correct, disabled all virus checker and firewalls and still get exactly the same behaviour.

On my Deco I've disabled all the security features - Web protection, Intrusion protection, IoT Protection, Parental controls, but still the same problem. Rebooted all Deco units multiple times.All units are up to date on updates.

Nothing obvious showing up on logs, seaching for the IP address of the affected machines

The only thing I've not done yet is a full factory reset of the Decos - that will take a little time to set everything back up again, and won't be popular with the rest of the house so will have to wait.

Appreciate any suggestions for anything else I could try or any ideas of where the problem may lie.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 certain machines cannot access certain websites
2024-04-25 09:06:03

@spicyhotone 

Hi, welcome to the community.

May I know the current firmware for your Deco XE75?

You could refer to the following suggestions to see whether they helped:

1. change the IPV4 DNS to 8.8.8.8.---How to change DNS server settings on my Deco

2. If the internet connection type under IPV4 is Dynamic IP, it is also suggested to connect the laptop via an Ethernet cable to the Virgin modem directly to see whether the same issue exists.

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
2024-04-26 14:03:42

@David-TP 

I've already tried changing the DNS as you descibe, but with no change to the behaviour.

I'll have to wait until no-one else is using the network before I can reconfigure the virgin modem to go into router mode and try connecting directly to that.

Options
2024-04-29 07:08:11

Fixed the problem, it wasn't an issue with the network at all, but a recent update to chrome & edge. If you google "Google Chrome's new post-quantum cryptography may break TLS connections" you'll find an article on bleepingcomputer which describes the problem and how it can be fixed.

One of the strangest problems I've ever encountered (perhaps I should be surprised when the word quantum appears in the description!) - given behavior was different on seemingly identical setups (all machines were using the same version of chrome), but worked on some machines and not others, and on some networks but not others. Anyway, switching off this new feature gets everything working normally again.

Interestingly, towards the end of last week, reddit started working for me again - I suspect they perhaps updated their webserver to deal correctly with this new mechanism.

Options