Assistance Needed with Deco Mesh Network Connectivity Issue

2024-05-03 10:29:09 - last edited 2024-05-03 11:14:02
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

In the attic, there is one Deco X50-5G for internet connection via a SIM card in 4G/5G Router Mode. Three Deco X50 A3000 are positioned one floor below. The X50-5G serves as the main Deco and communicates with the other three Decos wirelessly. Despite being almost directly above each other, the connection between the two floors is very weak.

To improve this, I ran an Ethernet cable from the attic to the lower floor. I connected one end of the Ethernet cable to the Deco X50-5G in the attic and the other end to one of the Deco X50 units on the lower floor. However, I encountered an issue where the Deco X50 connected via Ethernet no longer has internet access with GUEST NETWORK (normal Network is working). When I plug the Ethernet cable directly into my laptop, the internet works fine. But when I plug it back into the Deco X50, the connection light turns green, but I lose internet access via Wi-Fi in GUEST NETWORK.

Could you please help me troubleshoot this issue? what

Setup: 

Deco X50-5G ---(Ethernet Cable)--> Deco X50 ---(WIFI)--> Deco X50 ---(WIFI)-->Deco X50

Options
3 Reply
Re:Assistance Needed with Deco Mesh Network Connectivity Issue
2024-05-04 03:06:15 - last edited 2024-05-04 03:10:17

@Alexander12 we don't know what the orientation of the antennas in these devices is.

If you think about it though the field is probably a donut shape emanating horizontally from each antenna.

Some of the antennas will be at an angle, maybe as large as 45%, so the field is probably fairly good all round except for immediately below or above the device.

If you have devices on different floors I'd move them so they aren't directly above one another but also be aware of the distance between them and the effect that obstacles, like walls or floors, can have on wireless signal. It can be worse when they are not perpendicular to the wireless signal, eg. traversing through a wall at an angle will "look" thicker to the router than if if the traversal is perpendicular, and therefore can have an even greater affect on wireless signal quality.

Options
2024-05-04 20:51:43

@raven-au 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on wireless signal propagation. While those principles are certainly important to consider, I'm still encountering a specific issue with my Deco mesh network that I could use some help troubleshooting. Despite having one Deco unit connected via Ethernet, I'm experiencing internet access issues on the guest network. Have you encountered a similar situation before, or do you have any suggestions for resolving this particular problem? I appreciate your input!

Options
2024-05-05 03:54:36

@Alexander12 Sorry, I haven't had problems like that. In fact I don't use the guest network.

Options