AX55 VPN client behaviour

2024-08-02 10:12:14
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20231130 rel.36135(4555)

Hello All,

I just have a query regarding the expected behaviour of a router which is configured as a VPN client in the below scenario:

The router is connected to the public internet but is also configured as a VPN client to a remote VPN server

My laptop is configured in the router to have its traffic directed through the VPN tunnel

One day the VPN tunnel fails, how does the router handle this wrt my laptop?

Does the router automatically try to route the laptop traffic out through the public internet? Or does it leave my laptop with no connectivity until it successfully connects back to the VPN server? Does it depend on settings within the router (VPN protocol used, etc)?

Thank you.

Options
2 Reply
Re:AX55 VPN client behaviour
2024-08-06 01:40:55

@PencilPudding 

Hi, thanks for posting question on our community.

From my understanding, the VPN tunnel is established between router and remote VPN server, if VPN connection stops working, the devices connected to the router can not get internet anymore via VPN tunnel.

Options
Re:AX55 VPN client behaviour
2024-08-06 20:45:08

@Marvin_S 

Thank you for the response but it doesn't exactly answer my question.

"if VPN connection stops working, the devices connected to the router can not get internet anymore via VPN tunnel" - yes, I understand this but what does the router do when this happens?

Does it try to give the devices internet outside the VPN tunnel? Or does it just keep trying to re-establish the tunnel and the devices have no internet access at all until the tunnel is working again?

Regards.

Options