TX401 getting only 2gbs out of 10gbs verified speeds

2024-08-13 10:55:51
Model: TX401  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 3.1.8

My situation is nearly identical to this person: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/626262

But they never responded as to whether they found a solution

TX401 Hardware Version: V1.6

Firmware: 3.1.8 (Latest found based off of instructions found in this community forum)

Setup - 10Gbps connected from wall via CAT8 to TP AXE300 to PC using TP Link TX401 on Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Gaming X570 Plus motherboard

Ethernet cable - using the one provided in the box, but also tried others (cat8 and cat6)

Windows 11

No VPN

Turned Norton AV off to test speed

Advanced network card setting:
- Energy-Efficient Ethernet - DISABLED

- Flow Control - Rx & Tx Enabled

- Large Send Offload V1 & V2 (IPv4) - DISABLED

- Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) - DISABLED

- Link Speed - 10G

- Speed & Duplex - 10GBPS FULL DUPLEX

- TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - DISABLED

ISP Technician came by:

1. tested connection from wall to his own thunderbolt adapter getting 8-9 gbps upload and download.

2. tested connection via Router to his own thunderbolt adapter getting 8gbps down and 8 gbps down

3. tested on my pc - direct to wall - 2gbps down and 2 gbps up (prior to drive update was only giving me 300mbps up)

4. tested on my pc - via router - 1.6-1.8 gbps down and 1 gbps up (prior to drive update was only giving me 300mbps up)

5. tested with his cable to his laptop and then to mine to eliminate cable possibility, still same results with speed tests

Tried reaching to TP-Link support but never got a pickup. Literally just spend 47 minutes on hold until I gave up because I have work tomorrow. I'm stationed in Japan so if there are optimal times to call, then they're not exactly optimal to me.

Cant seem to find the help chat as the automated message in the support phone number suggests. 

Anyone experiencing similar issues? 

Same as the person I provided the link for, I am wondering if there is possibility of the following:

- Incorrect NIC settings

- Conflict between on-board network card and PCIE network card (TX401) 

- I'm using PCI slot 3 on my motherboard (reference motherboard model at top of post)

I'm at a complete loss here. What am I missing?

Options
2 Reply
Re:TX401 getting only 2gbs out of 10gbs verified speeds
2024-08-14 08:08:00

@AFgamer 

Hi

It is advisable to test other adapters capable of 10G on the same computer to assess if the speed can reach 10G. Alternatively, if you have access to another computer, consider connecting the TX401 to it for a speed test. The NIC could potentially impact the speed, so it is recommended to explore these troubleshooting steps above.

Options
Re:TX401 getting only 2gbs out of 10gbs verified speeds
3 weeks ago

@Joseph-TP Thank you for your reply last week. For your own information to help other clients, here was my fix:

I got into my router's settings via my PC, opposed to the Router's app (Tether) on my phone.

TP-Link AXE300 has a Quality of Service (QoS) option, where I can select priority speeds for which device that is currently connected, and the speeds in which it is bound to. I previously had set my PC to having a priority lane through the Tether app, with 10000Mbps down and up. However, when I used my PC to look at the settings it seems that everything was reset. So I once again prioritized my PC with the aforementioned speeds. 

In conclusion, it seems the issue was with the router settings. I'm unsure as to why I received the2Gbps directly through the wall and only started to receive the correct speeds after changing my settings in the router. Regardless, it seems my problem for speed has been resolved.

Thereafter, I attempted to use the Ookla speed test via the website. It starts at about 6000mbps download, then drops to approximately 1400Mbps until the website crashes. It does this every single time. However, when I download the Ookla speed test app it reads as I would expect it to read with roughly 8.8Gbps down and up. 

Further, I tried various file download tests and speeds tests. All varying depending on the websites.

Lastly, I had previously ordered a Asus XG-C100 Network card. I installed it recently to test the theory as to the functionality in comparison to the TX401. Speeds remained the same, however, the problem I had with the TP-Link TX401 would some times drop my internet connection during a single-player gaming session, whereas the Asus card did not. I have not delved into that issue because at this point I've gone as far as I needed to for my own edification, I've just left my Asus card installed. My router does not possess the option to test internet going into it, but based on the tests I've been running from my network cards through the router, I can confidently say that I'm getting the speeds I generally expect.

If you can think of anything else I should be testing, please advise. Otherwise, thank you for your previous advisement and time. 

Options