problems with power adapter and extender

2024-08-14 15:49:41
Model: TL-PA4010 KIT  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have a Vodafone fiber connection, and I'm installing some TP-Link extenders that work via power adapters to get a connection in other areas of the house. It's an old village house with thick walls, and the router is on the ground floor, so the signal doesn't reach the upper floor.

The adapters are TL-PA4010, and the extender is a RA220.

Basically, I'm connecting the first adapter to the router via Ethernet. In the area where I want to have a connection, I have the second adapter connected to the extender via a network cable. 

Before connecting the adapter via a network cable, the router's Wi-Fi speed is 600 Mbps, so the network is working perfectly.

However, as soon as I connect the network cable, and run the same speed test over Wi-Fi, the speed drops to 50 Mbps.

Looking at the network diagram within the router, the extender appears as if it's now the new router, which is very strange and doesn't make any sense.

Can someone help me properly configure these adapters and the extender with this router?

Thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:problems with power adapter and extender
2024-08-14 18:40:08

@javidr 

Hi,

Just to confirm, you have switched the "Mode" of the RE220 extender from "Repeater" to "Access Point"?

Options
2024-08-14 20:50:22

@woozle Hi

Yes, it is in AP mode. I tried both modes anyway

Options
2024-08-14 21:34:56

@javidr 

Are you sure you are still connected to the Wi-Fi of the Vodafone router when "the speed drops to 50 Mbps"?

50 Mbps sound more like the speed one can expect via the Wi-Fi of the RE220 throught the Powerline connection.

Options
2024-08-14 21:36:33

@woozle hi

yes, 100%, I'm in the living room and I can't reach the extender from that area via wifi

thanks

Options
2024-08-17 16:36:51

@javidr 

What about if only the TL-PA4010 KIT is connected to the router? I mean, when the RE200 is not connected to the second TL-PA4010.

Options