Archer AX23 - have I stupidly bought the wrong thing?

2024-08-17 12:14:18 - last edited 2024-08-20 02:36:06
Model: Archer AX23  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

First post and I think I've made a boo boo so please be gentle :)

I'm trying to replace an old BT SmartHub Type A with a more modern and flexible router.  I'm on fibre to the cabinet (with no current prospect of fibre to the house unfortunately) and have the old fashioned BT plug socket in the wall which requires a filter as the phone connects to the same box. Hope that makes sense.

WiFi signal around my house is poor due to thick walls so I was attracted by the idea of EasyMesh and have already purchased a set of Powerline extenders.

I've bought the AX 1800 Router (Archer AX23) but now I come to look at how it connects and how to replace the BT device I think I probably needed a combined modem / router and I'm fairly sure this isn't one.  I haven't opened the box yet as if it's the wrong thing I'd like to send it back untouched. 

Am I correct that the device I've bought won't work with my set-up?

If that is correct, is the Archer VR400 a good replacement?

Apologies for such an idiot level question but I'm going round in circles trying to get a definitive answer from the Internet without asking here!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX23 - have I stupidly bought the wrong thing?-Solution
2024-08-17 13:33:53 - last edited 2024-08-20 02:36:06

@RedMeerkat 

OneMesh is another variant of Mesh which was used by TP-Link before they started supporting EasyMesh.

Unfortunately, OneMesh is not compatible with EasyMesh.

Some broadband providers do indeed offer "hubs" that can be switched into a modem-only mode (often called "bridge mode" or "bridging"). 
I don't know whether that's possible with your BT SmartHub. A bit of reading on the Internet seems to indicate that it is possible with BT "Business" SmartHubs, but not BT "Home" SmartHubs.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer AX23 - have I stupidly bought the wrong thing?
2024-08-17 12:48:42

@RedMeerkat 

Hi,

If your BT SmartHub is connected to your broadband line via a cable connector that looks similar to that of an Ethernet network cable, but is narrower, then you are connecting via DSL and need to buy a DSL-capable router if you want to fully replace the BT SmartHub.

Sounds like you are looking for a router that supports EasyMesh as well. I am not sure if TP-Link currently offers a router that supports DSL and EasyMesh in the UK.

Options
2024-08-17 13:14:40

@woozle Thank you. Yes my connection is ADSL.  I might be reading it wrong but I thought the Archer VR 400 (ADSL / VDSL modem router) supported EasyMesh? (though they do call it OneMesh in the description)

You say "fully replace the SmartHub" so I assume that means I could connect a TP-Link router to the Smart Hub and use the Smart Hub as a modem only? Not sure if that's advisable or if it starts to get too complicated!

Options
Re:Archer AX23 - have I stupidly bought the wrong thing?-Solution
2024-08-17 13:33:53 - last edited 2024-08-20 02:36:06

@RedMeerkat 

OneMesh is another variant of Mesh which was used by TP-Link before they started supporting EasyMesh.

Unfortunately, OneMesh is not compatible with EasyMesh.

Some broadband providers do indeed offer "hubs" that can be switched into a modem-only mode (often called "bridge mode" or "bridging"). 
I don't know whether that's possible with your BT SmartHub. A bit of reading on the Internet seems to indicate that it is possible with BT "Business" SmartHubs, but not BT "Home" SmartHubs.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-17 15:26:40

@woozle thank you again.  TP-Link don't make it clear that OneMesh isn't compatible with EasyMesh so that's very helpful to know. Looking more closely I realise the WiFi extender I have bought is in fact OneMesh (not EasyMesh - can you tell I didn't realise the difference!) so it will work with the ASDL/VSDL modem router I was considering (the Archer VR400) but is buying a TP-Link OneMesh system now going down an obsolete route?

Yes it does appear that the BT Smart Hub can't be configured as a modem only so my choices there are stick with it (and see if the WiFi extender alone makes the difference to my performance) or get a TP-Link modem/router instead or get an OpenReach modem from EBay and stick with the TP-Link router I have already bought.  I suspect I'm going to return the router I've bought and see what difference adding the TP-Link extender to my Smart Hub makes to start with!

Thank you for your patience with my lack of understanding!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 191

Replies: 4

Related Articles