TD-W9980 - slow broadband speed with talktalk

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TD-W9980 - slow broadband speed with talktalk

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
27 Reply
Re:TD-W9980 - slow broadband speed with talktalk
2015-01-30 18:05:54
Okay, an update

I have had some correspondence from TP-Link support who asked me to try a number of things - one of them to disable UPNP on the router. I have done this and noticed an immediate stop to people trying to hack my NAS from the internet. Also...... wifi/LAN/broadband has not dropped out for 5.5 days :cool:

I think this is a good workaround for the moment as, I believe, no UPNP could cause problems with my sons XBOX/PS (when he gets it - he is saving his money)

So far, so good - I'm happy again.
Options
2015-02-16 02:46:00
21 days up without an issue. Now the 5GHz signal has dropped completely and the 2.4GHz is intermittent. Time to reboot the box :-(

I'm not particularly impressed with the W9980; definately needs some more work.
Options
2015-02-16 11:10:52
It keeps running for 21 days without power-off ???
It needs a break...
Options
2015-02-16 17:20:45
Hi Vivian.

Sorry, but 21 days is nothing. My old router that this replaced (the free one given by my ISP) ran for over two years without a problem.

This new router is doing nothing new and I am asking no more of it. The only difference is my old router was ADSL and this is VDSL.

I rebooted it again after posting my last message and there is still no 5G.
Options
2015-06-04 23:50:53
Hi freddyg,

Any update? in the same boat and found your thread via google search.

Thanks
Options
2015-06-05 16:32:19

gupsterg wrote

Hi freddyg,

Any update? in the same boat and found your thread via google search.

Thanks

Hi gupsterg,

I'm all sorted now - after another replacement! I'm on my 4th one!

What is your problem? Speed, wifi dropping, 5GHz going, DHCP errors?

Cheers
Freddyg
Options
2015-06-06 19:21:18
Thank you for your update, I thought perhaps you'd found a resolution other than replacing router. I also have a ticket open with TP-Link support and will go through that process to see if find a resolution other than swapout.

In regards to speed I haven't tested WiFi client throughput to another. I'm on TalkTalk fibre medium and get the 38mbps at router via ethernet :) . WiFi clients get 12-28 mbps depending on distance / obstacles / WiFi client.

All WiFi clients connect on the 2.4GHz radio on router and range extender (TP-Link RE210). The router and range extender connect to each other via 5GHz radio. I do believe it is something on the router, SSIDs differ for router and repeater, a WiFi client used 4m away from router on same floor level, no obstacles and on same SSID as router drops connection.

I don't think the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio are losing signal, but not entirely sure. Diags log on router are empty except for "Notice" "Information" and "Debug", these only have entries for Type: DHCPD Level: Notice in them.

When this connection dropping happens I see the hazard icon over the WiFi logo in Win7 taskbar. Checking status of connection via "Network and sharing center" shows IP address being renegotiated but this could mean WiFi connection drop as well, due to DHCP being enabled, going to disable and set clients to static IP and test.

I don't think VDSL is issue i) negotiation light not flash on router for DSL ii) internet light also active iii) as IP addresses for my private network are being renegotiated I would have thought a VDSL drop would not cause that (I will unplug cable at one point to test).

2 days ago disabled mac filtering and that had no effect on resolving issue :( . I didn't think it would help but thought the simpler I get things the better.

Fixed 2.4GHz radio channel today from auto setting after using InSSIDer to survey which would be best channel, it could be this but haven't noted channel change before / after a dropout. Also if I manually change radio channels my test WiFi client does not lose connection or renegotiate IP address.

Yesterday I must have had at least 6-7 times the hazard icon appear over WiFi icon on taskbar and today none so far even before fixing 2.4GHz channel :confused: .

I have latest firmware on router, range extender has no updated firmware. All lights on router remain normal when connection is issue, will check what range extender show.
Options
Related Articles