Second Router (TP LINK) in network causing High CPU for NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-09-26 00:01:02
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all I have a gneral query about my whole network, I hope I am in the right area for a bit of advice. Here is my setup: I have a BT smart hub (BT's newest router) which I have set up fine, quite seamless and good speeds. I also have a Synology NAS which I have attached to the router by ethernet. The network and the NAS were working fine together. But I have since added a TP Link W8980 router into my network, in my sons bedroom at the back of the house, via a long ethernet cable round the outside of the house. I have set this router up as a "Wireless access point" in effect, my son gets great wifi in his bedroom, he plugs his desktop into it so he's got a wired connection, and I can also get great wifi on the garden. I have set the SSID to the same as the BT Router, so all through the house we all seamlessly connect, and have great wifi. I have disabled the DHCP on the second router, and have given it a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of the main router. The network itself is great. Now comes the issue.......The NAS has high cpu, all of the time. I have had a ticket open with Synology, looking around, and the conclusion we have come to is that when the second router is plugged in, that causes the issue. When I unplug or turn off the second router the NAS behaves normally. Obviously this doens't suit my son now he has got used to having his own router! So now I need to know the best way to isolate the second router so it doesnt interfere with the NAS. Firewall? Different subnet so he has his own mini network in his bedroom? Bridge mode? As far as I can see I have set it up fine, and the network is fine, with average 40mbps download or better, but it is somehow interfering with NAS. Here are the IP's I am using BT Home hub - 192.168.1.254 DHCP Range of BT - 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 IP address of TP Link - 192.168.1.60 (outside of BT Hub dhcp range) IP address of NAS - 192.168.1.50 (outside of BT Hub dhcp range) I have Wireshark, but don't really know how to use it properly and haven't really had time to master it, but I can see the TP Link IP address knocking about in there I hope the above is enough info for someone to help me make sense of it Any advice gratefully received Thanks Richard
Options