Setting up a TL-WDR3600 for L2TP/IPsec forwarding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-10-17 01:56:17
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello everybody,

I have set up a L2TP/IPsec server on my QNAP NAS to access my local network from university etc. When I am inside my local network, connecting to the server works flawlessly via the local IP of the NAS, thus the server should be set up correctly.

However, connecting from outside does not work. I have forwarded the ports given in the QNAP manual (UDP 500, 4500 and 1701), but the connection cannot be established.

What could be the problem? Do I have to edit some other router settings?
Options
5 Reply
Re:Setting up a TL-WDR3600 for L2TP/IPsec forwarding
2016-10-18 02:17:49
Do you have public IP address on the WAN port?
Options
2016-10-22 01:03:43

jimasek wrote

Do you have public IP address on the WAN port?

I am using the DynDNS service that QNAP provides for its NAS servers ( www.myqnapcloud.com). The DDNS service is set up correctly, I can access my network via my myQNAPcloud hostname. When I try to connect to the VPN server using my hostname, Windows 10 tries to connect for a while and then just aborts.
Options
2016-10-22 20:47:48
QNAp works in the cloud, VPN not
Options
2016-10-24 00:14:41

jimasek wrote

QNAp works in the cloud, VPN not

I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. Because I don't have a business internet connection, I don't have a static IP address. My IP address changes whenever the router has to reconnect to the provider. Therefore I have to use a dynamic DNS service, so I can access my network from the internet without knowing its actual IP address. I could have used a public DynDNS service like www.noip.com, but QNAP also offers a dynamic DNS service for its customers called myQNAPcloud, so I am using that. My network can be accessed via my chosen hostname (i. e. "mynas.myqnapcloud.com"). However it doesn't matter if I type the myQNAPcloud hostname or my current IP address into the host field of the VPN connection settings in Windows 10, the VPN connection can't be established in either case. It only works inside my network via the local IP address of the NAS server, but using a VPN inside your network is pointless. So it must be something with the forwarding configuration or router configuration in general.

Or what did you mean by a "public IP address on the WAN port"?
Options
2016-10-24 23:29:23
If you don't know what is public IP address please show me status tab from main router.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 713

Replies: 5

Related Articles