Which mode? Access Point, Bridge or Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-01 19:03:22 - last edited 2020-04-01 20:08:13
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, 

I thought installation would be a breeze, boy was I wrong.

I finally got the main Deco unit connected to my Xfinity cable modem/router combo but I think the second Deco unit I connected may not be set up properly or not in the right router mode.

When connecting the main Deco to the modem/router combo I set up a new name and password for the new network but for some reason I didn't have to add that info to my wireless devices such as my cell phone, apparently it was added automatically?

So, now I have two Deco units connected. The main one is in the main floor living room and the second one is in the office in the basement. The one in the office basement is connected with power and an ethernet cable. I couldn't figure out how to use the placement instructions in the phone app so I simply put the unit in the farthest point from the main Deco unit.

Everything seems to work, but from what I've read I should be either in bridge mode or access point mode, and I think I'm just in plain old router mode. How can you tell which mode you're in?

Also, my old network is still showing on the lists of available networks on my phone, I thought setting up this Deco system replaced that old network.

Thoroughly confused at this point.....

Now I noticed that the network will change randomly from my old network to the new Deco network I just set up. At least it's doing that on my cell phone. Should I somehow delete or disable that old network?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Which mode? Access Point, Bridge or Router
2020-04-02 03:05:46

@johnrandolph 

Hi, try to reboot the Deco mesh system and verify whether you can find the Deco wireless networks. 

And it is suggested to configure the cable modem router combo as a pure cable modem, the Deco M9 plus will be the main router. In this way, there is no double NAT anymore. 

There will be no cable modem router's wifi available, and your devices won't switch from old network to the Deco mesh network, and you can enjoy the mesh network. And the advanced features supported by Deco in router mode still work. 

May it help. 

Options
2020-04-02 12:17:41 - last edited 2020-04-02 18:25:26

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for your reply. I did reboot and at first it couldn't find my system and then after I unplugged the unit a few times it finally found it.

I'm trying to figure out how not to use the router in the cable modem router combo from Xfinity. I've heard that you need to be in "bridge" mode?  What exactly is that and do I need to be in that mode?

If not, exactly which mode should I be in, regular router mode, access point mode or something else? As of now I believe I'm in regular router mode but I don't think things are working correctly as I got a message on my phone that my signal was too weak to access my ring doorbell system. 

After doing some more reading on this site, it seems as though ethernet backhaul might be the way for me to set the system up. I am really confused. If this don't start working soon I will just return it.

One other quick question, in the advanced settings I noticed sip alg was enabled, should that be disabled because I disabled it because in the past having sip alg enabled did nothing but cause problems.

Options
2020-04-02 18:28:58

@johnrandolph 

Another question.  Since I have an Xfinity cable modem/router combo, do I need to go into the Xfinity's router settings an enable "bridge mode"?

Is there somewhere else to get help for my questions? Is there a TP Link support site or is this the main place to get help?

Thanks....

Options
2020-04-02 20:57:25

@johnrandolph 

I've used my DECO M9 in both ROUTER and AP mode. 

Until recently I had my DECOS in ROUTER mode and I had the wifi turned off on my AT&T modem/router.  In this capacity the DECO units served as my router and wifi for wireless devices.  I had the main DECO connected to the AT&T router via an ethernet cable and then other DECO upstairs connected to the main deco.  This seemed to work great. 

I recently got an upgraded AT&T modem/router and now I'm using 1 of the DECOs in access point mode to simply extend the wirless signal from the AT&T router upstairs.  This too seems to work well enough.  So in my current set up my wifi is still turned on using the AT&T Router and 1 of the DECOs is an access point.

I honestly haven't seen any downside with either set up.  I do not have the option of bridge mode.

Ryan

Options
2020-04-02 22:22:38

@RyanEverhart789 

Thank you also Ryan for adding your input to my questions.

I currently have both units working. Don't really know if they're configured properly but they seem to work. Upon checking signal strengths, they appear much better than before I installed the Deco system.  Download and upload speeds seem better too.

I mostly purchased this system to be able to access my ring door bell cameras.  Before I installed the Deco system it was hit or miss to be able to see the cameras. I had hoped that by adding the Deco units it would be much easier to access the cameras. Unfortunately that's not the case. They're still hit or miss and sometimes when trying to access them it says my phones signal strength is too low.  Why would that be? 

Again though, I'm hoping someone can let me know if I should enable bridge mode in my Xfinity routers settings?

Thanks.....

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9090

Replies: 5

Related Articles