Media Server: MP4 files not shown

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-02-18 04:05:11
Region : Spain

Model : TL-WDR3600

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.26 Build 130129 Rel.59449n

ISP :

Hi all
I've recently bought the TP-LINK WDR3600 and am very happy with it. I'm using its media server feature so I can watch movies on my TV through DLNA, but have found a problem: the MP4 files are not shown. All the other files work perfectly (AVI, MKV), but the MP4 files are not shown in Windows Media Player or LG Smart TV.
I assume the Media Server software simply does not include this kind of files when scanning. Is there any way of accessing the media server configuration file and "enable" MP4 files?

Best regards,
Options
6 Reply
Re:Media Server: MP4 files not shown
2013-02-18 08:33:32
I have the same. Saw somewhere a suggestion to rename to M4P, but now server sees files, but does not play.
When files are on my PC, all clients (TV, BDPlayer 2x and other PC's) can play.

Regards, Hugo
Options
2013-02-20 02:15:33
SOLVED: I just renamed all .MP4 files to .AVI. Now, my LG Smart TV and my LG ST600 player can "see" and play the files. Perhaps they just ignore the extension and detect the container format...

advl03 wrote

Region : Spain

Model : TL-WDR3600

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.26 Build 130129 Rel.59449n

ISP :

Hi all
I've recently bought the TP-LINK WDR3600 and am very happy with it. I'm using its media server feature so I can watch movies on my TV through DLNA, but have found a problem: the MP4 files are not shown. All the other files work perfectly (AVI, MKV), but the MP4 files are not shown in Windows Media Player or LG Smart TV.
I assume the Media Server software simply does not include this kind of files when scanning. Is there any way of accessing the media server configuration file and "enable" MP4 files?

Best regards,
Options
2013-03-07 10:20:18

advl03 wrote

SOLVED: I just renamed all .MP4 files to .AVI. Now, my LG Smart TV and my LG ST600 player can "see" and play the files. Perhaps they just ignore the extension and detect the container format...

You can renamed mp4 to .avi format using AppGeeker.

It has a lot of options that you can use to convert it into the exact format.
Options
2013-04-14 12:51:07
According to the TP-Link FAQ ( http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=506 ) MP4 files are considered as AUDIO.

My media folders display MP4 files with the audio symbol and just play sound with no picture when activated.

I am guessing the TP-Link media server is kinda like TWONKY and as such renders MP4s as audio to my media players.

Until TP-Link modifies their firmware to treat and render MP4s as a VIDEO codec file, the fix seems to be to change the file extension of every .mp4 file to .avi / .m4p / .mpg.

I personally prefer .mpg as it only requires changing the 4 to g, but even this is a pain if there are hundreds to modify.

I have the TD-W8980 and it has been 4 hours to discover how to get media server to work, and now the mp4 thing, bleh! So not easy to work out.

Also a pity you cannot view or map the shared drive on Windows File Explorer. Another nuisance having to use ftp to add and remove files from the drive.

Beginning to wonder if the effort is worth it. So much easier with my WD Live network drives. Just doing this because I have USB drives to spare.
Options
2015-05-26 10:26:24
If so, you may convert your MP4 files to AVI or MKV.

Here is just a step by step guide on how to convert MP4 to AVI, this guide also convert between MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, FLV, VOB, SWF, H.265, WebM, 3GP, and etc.
Options
2015-05-26 10:29:20
You may also try convert your MP4 files to AVI or MKV with a third party software like iDealshare VideoGo
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1581

Replies: 6

Related Articles