Statistics for VMs connected via switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-31 16:56:08 - last edited 2021-09-07 03:36:51
Model: TL-SG2428P  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

I have an ESXi host connected to a port which is running with multiple tagged VLANS, all of the vm network interfaces show as a client but nothing has any traffic logged against it.

The only interface on thi sport that logs any traffic is the untagged management network. (the management network in the image below isn't the native esxi lan)

I'm not sure if this is normal for a port with the configuration this way as I have only just connected a switch to the controller.

Anyone else notice this ?.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Statistics for VMs connected via switch-Solution
2021-09-02 07:46:27 - last edited 2021-09-07 03:36:51

@biomed32uk 

I just noticed that all your VM networks are connected to the same switch's port. While the switch, as a layer-2 device, usually counts statistics based on port, not on IP, so it cannot identify each VM if they all connect to the same port. I saw a guy had the same issue in this thread, and TP-Link explained this.

If you have an Omada gateway, it will report the traffic based on IP addresses.

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Statistics for VMs connected via switch
2021-09-01 08:24:33 - last edited 2021-09-01 08:29:19

@biomed32uk 

Hey,

Are your switch and controller running the latest version? Seems they have resolved this issue via the latest firmware. See this thread.

Besides, if there is no Statistics, do those VM network interfaces have internet access?

Options
2021-09-01 19:30:12

@Somnus 

Everything is running the latest firmware and I get stats for all of the interfaces except the ones that are VMs, and they are internet connected interfaces. Most odd.

Options
Re:Statistics for VMs connected via switch-Solution
2021-09-02 07:46:27 - last edited 2021-09-07 03:36:51

@biomed32uk 

I just noticed that all your VM networks are connected to the same switch's port. While the switch, as a layer-2 device, usually counts statistics based on port, not on IP, so it cannot identify each VM if they all connect to the same port. I saw a guy had the same issue in this thread, and TP-Link explained this.

If you have an Omada gateway, it will report the traffic based on IP addresses.

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-02 16:20:12

@Somnus Thanks, I actually thought that was the case as the port is effectively a .1 q trunk port carrying multiple L2 vlans. Just wondered if I had missed something.

I do have an Omada gateway but that part of the system is not in use yet, still playing about with it and waiting until I get the full fibre service installed when I can do away my VDSL router then.

Many thanks. smiley

Options
2021-09-03 06:23:09
No problem. Hope everything will be good after you install the omada gateway.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 688

Replies: 5

Related Articles