Cannot see NAS on local network from main Deco when offline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-07 10:06:59 - last edited 2021-12-08 02:17:25
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50164

I've noticed something I think is very strange behavior for a local network.  I have 2 X60 units, one in the lounge room (main unit), it has a ZTE (NBN) modem plugged into one of the ports, the second port has a Synology 1019+ NAS attached which has a static IP.

The second X60 is in my home office at the other end of the house, with my work laptop connected via Ethernet to one of the ports.

Normally all this works works fine, I can browse locally to the NAS, but recently a tree fell and took out our NBN lead cable to the house so we had no internet for a few days.  When this happened I couldn't get to the NAS.  TP-Link app was showing it as an offline device, plugged into either of the main units ports, but when I take the NAS and plug it into the second X60 in the office it shows back up on the network.  I figured the ports on the main unit had fried.

Then the NBN tech came and reconnected the line, since the internet came back on via the modem plugged into the main unit the ports were clearly working so I tried plugging the NAS back into the main unit and it works again.  I can get to it locally via the main unit.  A few weeks later our internet got knocked out again, and once again could no longer get to the NAS unless I take it and plug it into the second Deco.

TLDR - When my main unit X60 has no internet connection I cannot locally get to my NAS plugged into that main unit, but I can access it if I plug the NAS into my secondary X60.  Is this just some way mesh networks function?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Cannot see NAS on local network from main Deco when offline-Solution
2021-12-08 01:29:56 - last edited 2021-12-08 02:17:32

@Casewood 

I thought that if NAS has static address set through IP reservation on Deco, when Deco sees NAS MAC address on the other side of Ethernet cable it'll understand this can't be WAN connection.

That seem not to be the case.

Also, I have found the following conversation on this topic: [Deco] WAN/LAN auto-sensing

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Cannot see NAS on local network from main Deco when offline
2021-12-07 13:04:17

@Casewood 

I think it is Main Deco WAN/LAN autosensing that is messing with your NAS, when Deco loses Internet connection. Only Main Deco needs WAN (obviously), that would explain why NAS connected to Satellite Deco is reachable when Internet goes down: Deco does not do WAN/LAN autosensing on Satellite Deco.

Can you clarify one thing about your NAS static IP address: is it set on NAS or through IP address reservation in Deco?

Options
2021-12-07 21:41:37

@Alexandre. Thanks that makes sense to me.  The static IP is set in the NAS, also reserved in the Deco and the DHCP range is set to start outside that static IP so it is never allocated to anything else.

Main Deco is 192.168.1.2

NAS is 192.168.1.3

Options
Re:Cannot see NAS on local network from main Deco when offline-Solution
2021-12-08 01:29:56 - last edited 2021-12-08 02:17:32

@Casewood 

I thought that if NAS has static address set through IP reservation on Deco, when Deco sees NAS MAC address on the other side of Ethernet cable it'll understand this can't be WAN connection.

That seem not to be the case.

Also, I have found the following conversation on this topic: [Deco] WAN/LAN auto-sensing

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-08 02:17:17 - last edited 2021-12-08 02:17:35

@Alexandre. Thank you for finding this, it looks like exactly what I have experienced.  Learn something new everyday :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1023

Replies: 4

Related Articles