WAN/LAN auto-sensing

Votes

WAN/LAN auto-sensing

WAN/LAN auto-sensing
WAN/LAN auto-sensing
2021-08-20 02:35:22 - last edited 2023-12-27 08:09:11

Background:
There is a typical network topology:

Some users might notice that, once the internet service fails, they are no longer able to access the NAS server from the local network.

The cause of this Phenomenon:
When  internet service went down and cable modem failed to provide IP address for Main Deco, both Ethernet ports on the main Deco would work as WAN ports to detect internet connection. NAS would no longer obtain an IP address from Deco.

Why do we use WAN/LAN auto-sensing on Deco?
For the Deco Mesh system, normally it would have more than 2 units and each unit has at least 2 Ethernet ports; It would be time-consuming and confusing to find out which port should be connected to the ISP modem. And supposing that the WAN port is fixed, once this port is broken, the whole Mesh kit would be useless.

Recommended Solutions:

• Given that the issue arises only when the ISP modem failed to assign IP address for the main Deco, once the cable modem recovered,  the problem should be resolved. It is suggested to contact the ISP to restore the modem connection as a priority.

• The current workaround would be connecting the wired servers to the satellite Deco units, instead of the main one.

• And We have also implemented enhancements on certain models, ensuring that the WAN port remains constant as long as the physical Ethernet connection between the modem and main Deco is unchanged, even when there is no internet service from the modem.

​​​​​​​

• Moreover,  It is also planned to support manually fixing a specific Ethernet port as WAN post on the Deco APP later. (Some models already support this feature, such as Deco X80-5G/Deco X20-4G)
Options
201 Reply
Re:[Deco] WAN/LAN auto-sensing
2021-11-29 16:21:26 - last edited 2021-12-02 10:54:53

@TP-Link 

This solution is not acceptable!!! I spend lot of money on my deco mesh system to find out i need another router, because you cannot add simple option to designate port role (even as "advanced" option)?

Please fix this asap, or refund me for my two M9 and three M5 so I can chose more experienced mesh manufacturer 

Options
2021-12-13 20:38:34

@Diabl0 I have the same issue. 
My setup 3 Decos and NO other router worked for a few months and then it 'lost' the auto sensing on the main deco. Swapped routers,cable and reset all of them. No luck. Eventually I had to buy another router with a 'dedicated' WAN port to add it before the first / main deco. 
Either I am stupid or "................

Diabl0 wrote

@TP-Link 

This solution is not acceptable!!! I spend lot of money on my deco mesh system to find out i need another router, because you cannot add simple option to designate port role (even as "advanced" option)?

Please fix this asap, or refund me for my two M9 and three M5 so I can chose more experienced mesh manufacturer 

Options
2021-12-21 23:15:32

Janbez54 wrote

@Diabl0 I have the same issue. 
My setup 3 Decos and NO other router worked for a few months and then it 'lost' the auto sensing on the main deco. Swapped routers,cable and reset all of them. No luck. Eventually I had to buy another router with a 'dedicated' WAN port to add it before the first / main deco. 
Either I am stupid or "................

Diabl0 wrote

@TP-Link 

I can't even believe this is a real thing. I want my money back too becuase I have the exact same issue   Wow @Janbez54 

Options
2021-12-22 15:53:28
Same issue. Checking. My entire fiber network is useless?
Options
Re:WAN/LAN auto-sensing
2021-12-27 15:50:48

@TP-Link A lot of VPN routers have a configuration option for auto-sensing WAN/LAN connections. Auto-sensing means if you connect to your VPN via Ethernet, it will automatically prevent the internet from coming up on your LAN. It also prevents devices connected to your LAN from connecting to the internet via your VPN. If you don't have this option, you can manually disable the internet on your LAN: You should then set up a separate router for your VPN connections (if you're using multiple connections to different servers). You can connect it to your WAN port on your main router, which would be disabled in the above scenario, or use a port forwarding rule and a DMZ host where you want all of your SSL traffic to be forwarded. Make sure your DMZ host is not accessible from the outside world.

Options
2022-02-22 10:26:46 - last edited 2022-02-22 10:27:51

@TP-Link When will this unacceptable bug finally be solved ? Even in your most recent beta-firmware (1.6.0) this is again not mentioned at all while this is and remains a huge bug in your deco system ?! Under no circumstances should the (working) LAN-port be disabled if the Internet connection is lost. The solution to add an extra (wireless) router is a ridiculous idea because you completely lose the Ethernet backhaul which is so highly recommended by TP-link ... a very strange and expensive 'workaround'. As a result, I can no longer offer them to my customers. This bug does render this mesh system useless in many cases, but that doesn't seem to get through to TP-link ... how sad.

Options
2022-04-15 22:53:15 - last edited 2022-04-15 22:56:06

Hey @TP-Link, just letting you know that we're still waiting for some sort of options to assign a fixed port for was/lan. Just in case you forgot ;)

Options
2022-05-04 01:13:18

@TP-Link

If adding an advanced option to lock the LAN/WAN to specific ports won't make the next firmware, what about tweaking the existing auto-sensing to "lock" once the router completes booting up?  People probably aren't running around switching network cables just for fun on running systems. Once the router is up, the WAN is the WAN is the WAN. The odds of that changing while the router is powered up are slim-to-none. So, just lock it.  The auto-sensing did it's job, it can stop polling. Kill the process and let it sleep until the next time the router is powered up.

Options
2022-05-04 14:40:24 - last edited 2022-05-04 15:03:18

@TP-Link 

Just realized that this...

It would be time-consuming and confusing to find out which port should be connected to the ISP modem. And supposing that the WAN port is fixed, once this port is broken, the whole Mesh kit would be useless.

...  makes no sense.

The deco already has the ability to select ports for specific purposes, namely IPTV.  This is documented in your own FAQ.

Options
2022-05-10 12:59:37

Terrible mistake by the developers...

Options

Information

Helpful: 105

Views: 39302

Replies: 203

Voters 101

+ 97 Voters