Cannot Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Cannot Connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Cannot Connect
Cannot Connect
2021-12-27 13:24:52 - last edited 2021-12-27 22:26:58
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am having a similar although opposite issue of the thread here.  I have had my M5 for a couple of years and it has worked perfectly until I switched it to access point mode to accommodate a crypto miner that I couldn't get out of relayed mode.  Switching the M5 to access point mode resolved my miner problem but now we can get connected to the network but not the internet on our laptops and we're having to use my phone hotspot to work. 

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Cannot Connect-Solution
2021-12-27 15:13:12 - last edited 2021-12-27 22:27:14

@trebuchet5684 

Sometimes an issue like that can be fixed by powering off and on everything. Do that in the following order:

Power off

laptops - make them shutdown, not "sleep" or "hibernate"

Satellite Decos (in any order)

Main Deco

ISP Router - if it allows shutdown from Web interface, also unplug it from electric outlet

----

Wait for about 5-10 minutes

----

Power on

ISP Router - wait till its lights show it is fully operational

Main Deco M5 - wait till its LED goes Green

Satellite Decos - in any order, but wait till their LED goes Green on all of them

laptops

-----------------------------------------------------

If that does not help, you'll also need to check current time and time zone on laptops, Main Deco and on ISP Router. Sometimes substantial difference in current time/time zone on them could trigger "connected no Internet" error.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-27 22:21:19 - last edited 2021-12-27 22:26:58

@trebuchet5684 

After you changed Deco mesh to Access Point mode, Main Deco will be getting its IP address from your ISP Router. Main Deco now has different IP address. Open Deco app, touch "Internet" globe and in the list of Deco units that you'll see touch Main Deco. This is where you can find its current IP address.

In example screenshot below, Main Deco name is "Living Room:"

Hint: after each Main Deco or ISP Router restart, Main Deco could get different IP address from ISP router. I would recommend to reserve IP address for Main Deco on ISP Router, so that it does not change between restarts. How to set "IP address reservation" depends on specific ISP Router, check its documentation.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
2021-12-27 15:13:12 - last edited 2021-12-27 22:27:14

@trebuchet5684 

Sometimes an issue like that can be fixed by powering off and on everything. Do that in the following order:

Power off

laptops - make them shutdown, not "sleep" or "hibernate"

Satellite Decos (in any order)

Main Deco

ISP Router - if it allows shutdown from Web interface, also unplug it from electric outlet

----

Wait for about 5-10 minutes

----

Power on

ISP Router - wait till its lights show it is fully operational

Main Deco M5 - wait till its LED goes Green

Satellite Decos - in any order, but wait till their LED goes Green on all of them

laptops

-----------------------------------------------------

If that does not help, you'll also need to check current time and time zone on laptops, Main Deco and on ISP Router. Sometimes substantial difference in current time/time zone on them could trigger "connected no Internet" error.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Cannot Connect
2021-12-27 16:48:10

@Alexandre. Thanks for that.  So far so good.  I'll see if it acts up again tomorrow morning.  For the past 2-3 days, it has tended to behave normally for a time and then revert.

A related issue is that I cannot connect to the IP address 192.168.1.1 even though I'm connected to my network and the internet.  Is that because I have it set to access point or should I still be able to access that IP address?

Options
2021-12-27 21:27:56

@trebuchet5684 

If the issue with laptops connectivity is intermittent, it is unlikely to be caused by date/time mismatch. Full power off/power on might still help, but I would also recommend to check wired connectivity in your home network, specifically between Main Deco and ISP Router. Look for loose Ethernet cables, unplug and tightly plug them back to Main Deco and ISP Router.

If your laptops are of the same brand and model, check their support forums for issues with WiFi adapters and for updated drivers.

In regard to 192.168.1.1 - each home network is different. You need to be more specific. For example, on my home network that I run with Deco in AP mode, devices get IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.* and they receive their IP addresses from ISP Router. As such, on my home network I would not have a device with 192.168.1.1 IP address. What device did you expect to reach on that IP address?

Options
2021-12-27 22:13:06

@Alexandre. That address is for the Deco itself.  When I first started looking for solutions to my crypto miner forwarding issue, I was able to log into the Deco M5 router at that address but not since I set it to access point.

Options
2021-12-27 22:21:19 - last edited 2021-12-27 22:26:58

@trebuchet5684 

After you changed Deco mesh to Access Point mode, Main Deco will be getting its IP address from your ISP Router. Main Deco now has different IP address. Open Deco app, touch "Internet" globe and in the list of Deco units that you'll see touch Main Deco. This is where you can find its current IP address.

In example screenshot below, Main Deco name is "Living Room:"

Hint: after each Main Deco or ISP Router restart, Main Deco could get different IP address from ISP router. I would recommend to reserve IP address for Main Deco on ISP Router, so that it does not change between restarts. How to set "IP address reservation" depends on specific ISP Router, check its documentation.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-27 22:26:01
BAM! You're a genius. Thanks.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 456

Replies: 6

Related Articles