Huge differences in up/down speed on all units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Huge differences in up/down speed on all units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:Huge differences in up/down speed on all units
2022-10-30 11:40:11

@Helga 

Yes, it is disappointing to hear and I am afraid I can't help you with these stubborn security cameras remotely.

So, what did you end with? Main Network on 5GHz and Guest with 2.4GHz/5GHz, or did you roll everything back to Main Network and disabled Guest Network? Let me know and I'll give you one last recommendation I have for your Deco mesh tuning.

After that, if any issues left, you'll need to wait till TP-Link releases firmware 1.6 for M9Plus.

Options
2022-10-31 07:30:55 - last edited 2022-10-31 07:32:36

Good morning  @Alexandre. 

Just a question because I don't know how AP works.

When I look into my 'equipment connected' page on my router, I see on my Ethernet cable 3 that not only the one Deco unit connected by cable but all three Deco's are visible in my router but also all units connected to the Deco's and not directly to the router itself.

Is this a normal way of being listed for Mesh units and connected devices when in AP modus? Or is there something else wrong here?

Could send you a printscreen of the connections if you need it.

Thanks for your help/explanation!

Options
2022-10-31 13:24:16 - last edited 2022-10-31 13:33:05

@Helga 

When you run Deco mesh in AP mode, your router is in charge of home network. It manages all units. Deco provides WiFi signal and not much more. What you see is by design and expected: router knows about every device on your home network, sees them all and manages them all. That also includes Deco units.

There are benefits from running Deco in Access Point mode:

1. If you have advanced features in your router, such as parental controls, when to turn on/off Internet access to some of your home network devices - these features will still work with Deco mesh in AP mode.

2. You can connect device by Ethernet cable to the router Ethernet port and it will be accessible from any device on your home network.

There is one other thing that could work with this setup, sharing it with you in case you'll find it useful. Suppose, you have a stubborn device (security camera, etc.) that can't stay connected to Deco mesh. No matter what you try. Yet, that device happened to be not very far from the router and router WiFi signal could reach it. In that case, you can configure router WiFi with different SSID your Deco mesh has, turn on router WiFi and force that stubborn device connect to the router SSID. If you need to access that device from your home network (to check video feed, for example), you can do it with no issues.

Options
2022-11-01 09:49:02

Hi @Alexandre. 

So if I understand correctly I could reactivate wifi on my lifebox and try to connect the camera (or another stubborn device) to the lifebox wifi (with ofcourse another SSID) now that we have made an AP.

Another question, might be coincidence but could the configuration of now AP's have any influence on my internet connection?

I see my own pc in the syteminfo connected with ethernetcable to port 3 on the box but when I check my networkconnection on my pc it says I'm connected to my guest network on the Deco system.

Somehow my connection to my NAS (on ethernet on my box) fails and also my internetspeed is now really really slow, I have a sky-high ping and speed like a turtle in the middle of mud.

Could this be because of the AP system we created, is the routing of my system somehow confused now?

Options
2022-11-01 13:40:28

@Helga 

Under normal conditions switching Deco to Access Point mode should not impact speeds and connections negatively. Deco in AP mode usually provides better speeds. What happens with your home network is not normal.

I should have stopped when you told me you can't connect security camera to Guest Network. This is a sign of a problem that I can't solve remotely. Instead, I moved forward and ignored it.

I have Deco mesh at my house, with M9Plus, that runs very well for about 2 years now. I thought I will provide you with settings similar to what I have on my network, Deco mesh tuning recommendations relevant to your house and network, and you will be all set. I was wrong.

I can't troubleshoot what happens with your network, because I don't know why it happens. My apologies for wasting your time.

You can rollback Deco configuration to what it was before my recommendations: switch  Deco mesh to run in Router mode and turn off Guest network.

If your Deco hardware is still under return policy, consider returning it and trying WiFi mesh from different brand. With how you paced Deco nodes at your home, any other 3-unit WiFi mesh should work if you place its units in same places you have Deco now.

Once again, my apologies I was not helpful at the end.

Options
2022-11-01 14:01:36

Hi @Alexandre. 

Don't apologize, it should be me apologizing for wasting your time.

Actually you did help me a lot already, to start with already to understand difference between AP and router settings and also for the splitting into two different networks.

At least I know that I have to check with my internet provider to see what is happening. I bought the Deco's in December 2018, so no more warranty.

But first I'll rewind our changes (but write them down because really I think your solution for AP is better than my previous setting as different networks and each one separated) and then contact my internetprovider to see what they can find out.

Once again, you've been very friendly and helpful, thank you very very much! And have a nice day.

Options
Related Articles