Deco PX50 - Powerline or Ethernet for backhaul?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-02 13:56:10 - last edited 2023-10-09 09:54:19
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have just migrated from 3 x Deco M5 to Deco PX50

The M5 were all connected via Ethernet cables to the home network and so I have also connected these same cables to the PX50.

What I am trying to figure out is - will the PX50 use the Ethernet or the Powerline for the backhaul?

Confused...

Would appreciate any information - thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco PX50 - Powerline or Ethernet for backhaul?-Solution
2023-03-02 22:00:48 - last edited 2023-10-09 09:54:19

@Alexandre. 

Yeah that would be what I have experienced before

Q4: Can PLC Backhaul, Ethernet Backhaul, and Wi-Fi Backhaul work at the same time?

If there is no Ethernet cable between the Deco units, Wi-Fi Backhaul and PLC Backhaul will take effect at the same time.

If there is an Ethernet cable between the Deco units, then only Ethernet Backhaul will take effect.

Recommended Solution
Options
15 Reply
Re:Deco PX50 - Powerline or Ethernet for backhaul?
2023-03-02 17:33:43

@harry66 

Hey

From previous experience of the P9 model, they will choose the ethernet backhaul as priority over the Powerline connection. 

Options
2023-03-02 21:42:02 - last edited 2023-03-02 21:43:52

@harry66 I have a Deco PX50 and it uses definitely uses powerline as the primary backbone, the units plug diectly into a standard 13A socket and the other end plugs into the back of the Deco.  I *believe* the PX50 also uses Wifi in combination with the powerline to deliver maximum speeds between units, however I can't test or prove this.  The PX50 also uses a different/improved "ethernet over mains" standard so the througput should be faster than a P9 unit.

Options
2023-03-02 21:55:49

@harry66 

Se the following document, which were updated to include Deco PX50:  General Questions about the Powerline or PLC Backhaul Feature of Deco

Options
Re:Deco PX50 - Powerline or Ethernet for backhaul?-Solution
2023-03-02 22:00:48 - last edited 2023-10-09 09:54:19

@Alexandre. 

Yeah that would be what I have experienced before

Q4: Can PLC Backhaul, Ethernet Backhaul, and Wi-Fi Backhaul work at the same time?

If there is no Ethernet cable between the Deco units, Wi-Fi Backhaul and PLC Backhaul will take effect at the same time.

If there is an Ethernet cable between the Deco units, then only Ethernet Backhaul will take effect.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-02 22:16:22

@Philbert 

For me the most important part of the updated document is the following:

Q1: Can Deco PX50 build PLC Backhaul with Deco P9 and P7?

No. Deco PX50 uses the G.hn powerline standard while Deco P7/P9 uses the HomePlugAV powerline standard, which is not compatible with each other.

However, the Deco P9 and Deco P7 can build the Powerline Backhaul together.

I can understand the technical reasoning behind that, but it means one can't gradually transition from P7/P9 Deco mesh by just adding PX50 as new Main Deco and expecting powerline backhaul to work between Satellite P7/P9 and Main Deco PX50.

It must be full replacement of P7/P9 set with PX50 set, to ensure powerline backhaul stays operational.

Options
2023-03-02 22:23:40

@Alexandre. 

Yeah I read that myself

I did notice previously that the Ghn Home Plugs cannot talk to AC2 Home Plugs, so there must be a fundamental change under the hood.   Others vendors have the same warning so its not just a TP Link thing..

Options
2023-03-03 11:40:36

@harry66 

The above comment does not seem to tie in with what I see in the Deco app...

On my Deco App it shows:

But all 3 are wired to the home network. Indeed with the previous M5 (before I removed them) it always showed Ethernet in the above screen.

Options
2023-03-03 12:33:06

@harry66 

Even if everything worked with Deco M5s, there is still a chance something might not work with different networking gear. It is a slim chance, but it does exist.

To confirm it is not Ethernet wiring or switch, take one of Satellite PX50 to where Main Deco is and connect it directly to one of Main Deco Ethernet ports, using short Ethernet cable of good quality. If you bought Deco set, it may have included Ethernet cable - use it.

See if such direct connection gets reported in Deco app as Ethernet backhaul link for that Satellite Deco.

Options
2023-03-03 13:27:33

@harry66 

thanks - will give that a go on the weekend.

At present, I got the following details with the Wifi Speed Test app - which looks good (I guess!)  - given that my wired network is gigabit!!

So, am I right in thinking the Deco is giving me almost  2Gbps speeds?

Options
2023-05-10 15:36:52 - last edited 2023-05-10 15:37:04

I am looking at getting PX50 triple pack. Could someone tell me if this setup would work:

- Primary node is wired to router

- Secondary node will have an ethernet cable to the primary node

- Third node will be PLC + wifi connected

Will secondary to primary node use the ethernet cable as the backhaul? And will the 3rd node be able to use PLC + Wfif to the other nodes?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2498

Replies: 15

Related Articles