Issue with dual switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Issue with dual switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Issue with dual switches
Issue with dual switches
2023-07-09 00:52:33
Model: SG2210P  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 20211201 Rel.56831

Hi, I'm after some help as I've got myself into a pickle. I have two TL-SG2210P's, the first one is for general devices and the second switch is for POE devices aka cameras and an AP (currently trying to setup).

The switches are connected to each other via Port 1 <-> Port 1 on both devices. I need to get into the second switch to makes some changes for the VLAN on certain ports to get the AP up and running. I cannot find the IP for this second switch but can see the MAC address of it on the first switch via the address table, it shows as VLAN ID 1. Is it at all possible to be able to obtain the IP from the web management of switch 1, if not what would be another way to try? 

I've attempted to use NMAP but haven't seen the MAC address on any of the IP ranges I've selected. Ideally, I don't want to factory reset the second switch as I don't have a current backup of the config for that device either.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Issue with dual switches
2023-07-10 07:10:51

Hi @natedog082 

Are you using the Omada Controller? If yes, you can check the IP address of your device on the Controller. If no, you can still use the Controller to view the IP address.

In addition, if you don't want to use the Controller, you can use the discovery utility to find out the IP address without any risks to adopt your device.

Omada Software Controller V5

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-07-10 08:03:37

@Clive_A that's interesting, I downloaded and ran the discovery utility tool as I'm not using Omada. When it ran the app, it detects that both my switches are using the IP 192.168.0.1, I know this is incorrect as I can access one of the switches via the VLAN that it is on e.g. 192.168.50.100.

Maybe you can help me out, what I want to achieve is having Port 1 connected to Port 1 on both switches as like an up-link, what is the correct way to do this, LAG? The problem at the moment is that the switch that is ticked in the screenshot above I'm unable to manage to make configuration changes. I would like to backup the config of that switch before making any changes as it is currently running my cameras and I can access those without any issue.

Options
2023-07-10 09:38:30

@natedog082 

The switch is plug-and-play. Unless you need to configure something advanced like VLAN. There are no special ports for the uplink. Anyone of them can be it.

Did you set a static IP? What else settings do you have?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-07-10 10:05:53

@Clive_A I've got VLAN 1, 50 and 75 setup. With regards to static ip, it should be getting a IP from my pfsense VM but from what I can see pfsense isn't seeing the switch but sees the cameras connected to that switch.

Options
2023-07-10 11:18:53

@natedog082 

Hey there!

It seems like you're facing a challenge with your TL-SG2210P switches and configuring VLANs for your devices. Don't worry; we're here to help you out!

To obtain the IP address of your second switch, you can try the following steps:

1. Access the web management interface of the first switch (TL-SG2210P) using its known IP address.
2. Look for a feature called "Address Table" or "MAC Address Table" in the web management interface. This table should display the MAC addresses of connected devices.
3. Locate the MAC address of your second switch in the address table. It's great that you can already see it there!
4. Note down the VLAN ID associated with the MAC address (which you mentioned as VLAN ID 1). This information will be useful in the next step.
5. Now, check if the first switch has an option for "VLAN Configuration" or "VLAN Settings" in the web management interface.
6. Access the VLAN settings and look for a feature called "Port Configuration" or "Port VLAN" where you can assign VLANs to specific ports.
7. Based on the VLAN ID associated with the MAC address of the second switch, configure the appropriate VLAN settings on the desired ports of the first switch.
8. Save the changes and ensure that the port connecting the first and second switches is part of the VLAN associated with the second switch.

Once you've completed these steps, you should be able to access the web management interface of the second switch using its default IP address, which is usually mentioned in the user manual. If you don't have the manual, you can usually find it on the manufacturer's website.

Regarding your attempts with NMAP, it's possible that the second switch has a different IP range or subnet, which is why you weren't able to detect it. However, with the steps mentioned above, you should be able to configure the VLAN and access the second switch's web management interface without needing to factory reset it.

Remember, it's always a good practice to have a backup of your switch configurations. Once you've resolved this issue, consider saving a backup of the configuration for future reference.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any further questions or need additional assistance!

Options
2023-07-10 12:34:43

@Zubairsk thanks for the reply it is much appreciated. I did try what you suggested and got to step 8, the port config for 1/01/1 is already set to PVID of 1 which is the same on the second switch. If I go to VLAN Config and VLAN ID 1, should port 1 be tagged or untagged?

Yes, I will most certainly be performing another backup of the switch after I've got this resolved (fingers crossed).

Options