Omada outdoor EAP-625 radiation pattern

2024-05-16 13:56:22

Hello,

Looking at the EAP-625 datasheet, I noticed that the radiation pattern is weird.

I was leaning toward this one instead of the EAP-650 because of the mobile antennas, but if the radiation pattern is really like in the datasheet, I won't buy it.
Is this weird pattern due to the antenna being ~45° bent on the picture instead of straight upward ?

See the EAP-625 :

Compared to the EAP-650 (antennas inside, probably upward) :

Options
7 Reply
Re:Omada outdoor EAP-625 radiation pattern
2024-05-16 19:18:11

@mysteriousname 

Those radiation graphs are pretty sophisticated, going by shape and/or colour doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.  I will admit in general the 650 looks better on paper, but from what I've read in this forum, sometimes performs less well in the field, particularly in the 'behind' zone.  I have been a long term user of the 225-outdoors which have a very similar radiation pattern to the 625 and have been happy with their performance.  You should know that the 650 uses printed antennas on the main PCB which is cheaper to produce, but not always better.  I'm pretty sure TPlink wouldn't have troubled themselves to 'late launch' an inferior product in the 6XX line, instead I think it fills some gaps namely  where mounting location presents some challenges and/or where the use of an external 3rd party antenna is required.  If you are just covering a suburban backyard go with the 650.  If you are trying to maximize your distance (especially forwards and behind) in difficult RF conditions, then my money would be on the 625 performing better.  You can see how the radiation pattern of the external antenna would also optimize a roughly linear 'line' of meshed APs as more of the RF energy is focused fore and aft with the externals than the 650 can manage.   The externals are also useful when mounting on metallic poles, especially wider ones like light standards.  YMMV, HTH.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-05-17 00:21:57

Hi  @mysteriousname 

It's ~45° bent, because we recommend to use the antennas like that. 

In general, our antenna signals are radiated vertically and outward from the antenna. 

(Left) Scenarios that are not suitable for common level use

(Right) The router has better wireless coverage with horizontal use

A ~45° bent antenna can help you improve the coverage that "under"/nearby the EAP install location. 

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-17 07:08:47

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for the informations :)
I didn't know that the antennas were PCB printed, I need to displace them for my application. TP-Link support told me that if I did that the product would no longer be under warranty (which doesn't matter, my job won't send it back anyway even if it was faulty), but not that I couldn't do it.

A colleague of mine told me that he could replace the printed antennas with external ones, any opinion on this ?

The EAP will be used either in a 300-500m range (360° arround) in perfect RF conditions (no possible mesh), either in a 100m range in little noisy conditions (possible mesh), but always with clear line of sight.

@Fae 

Thanks, good to know ! My EAP will be at the same high as clients, so I might stick with upward antennas in most configurations. I guess the radiation pattern I attached in my previous post was made with this 45° angle, and will change if put the antenna upward ?

Options
2024-05-17 15:00:54

@mysteriousname 

You could modify the internals of the 650, but this will require some rather delicate solder skills to break out the signals.  The 625 gives you two standard SMA connectors from the get-go.  Of course, WiFi6 often uses 4x4 MIMO, to there may still be additional 2 antenna signals to break out regardless.  If you are already customizing, I'd start with the 625 platform since you don't care about the factory radiation patterns anyways....and the 802.11AX guts of both units will be similar if not the same.  You will also know how to better pair the 4 signals...often not obvious when staring at PCB antennas as they are the product of a whole lot of RF voodoo and this results in some non-intuitive patterns.

On the antenna orientation, a 90' angle between the anteanna dipoles allows for true horizontal/vertical spatial diversity which can improve the modulation efficiency between two points.  So in my opinion, it's less about coverage and more about radio performance.

Options
2024-05-17 15:06:24

@mysteriousname 

I am not sure the stock radios will get you a 300-500m sphere of coverage (or toroid, or frisbee even). You get max 1W of power from the stock radios, if you do the math of 1W over the surface area of a 1km diameter sphere, it's not a lot.  You either need to amp up the power (and violate your local RF regulations), or you need to direct and focus the power using narrow beam antennas (ironically, these are usually PCB printed :) )

Options
2024-05-21 07:51:23

@d0ugmac1

Thanks again for your help :)

According to TP-Link website, the 650 is working with a pair of 2x2 antennas (one for 2.4GHz, one for 5GHz), so in my case I would only have to worry about the 5GHz part.

The 625 sounds like the best option to work around antennas changes, but harder to buy in my job (650 is available from suppliers, not 625).

I did the maths for the 500m range, I will be in perfect RF conditions, in a perfectly flat area, so I used the free space path loss formula with freq = 5.8GHz : FSPL = 101.69dB

So now I calculate the required sensitivity of the receiver with EIRP = 1W (30dBm) and receiving antenna gain = 5dBi, that gives me a required sensitivity of 66.69dBm on the receiver, which is fine as I don't expect a high speed connection over a long range (few dozens of MBps are ok at long range, but few hundreds of MBps are required at close range).

Sensitivity are indicated only in the 625 datasheet, not in the 650 one :

I guess that the indicated sensitivity is the one required to achieve the best modulation and thus data rate on given bandwidth, but that the system will manage to keep up the communication by changing the modulation to establish a reliable connection over a longer distance.

Options
2024-05-21 20:40:01

@mysteriousname 

I am keen to follow along on this vicariously :)  Please share what you can as your project progresses.

If you are in a 'contained' space...tunnel, large warehouse, or even open water, or anything with some waveguide like properties (hard dense surfaces)...then your propagation characteristics will benefit measurably and make it easier on the poor radios!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 353

Replies: 7

Related Articles