Range Extender Kills Phone

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-23 15:25:01

I plugged in my new range extender, did nothing else, and all 3 AT&T cordless phones showed "No Line"!  Unplugged range extender and, again,  had dial tone.  Phones are hard wired to charging dock but cordless and none are within 20 ft of outlet and extender.  I have not continued with the installation set up as IF my phones are inop, what is the point of having my wi-fi range extended?  Basically only want the wi-fi signal to reach a bit further into the yard for security camera usage.

Thanks for any comments, Floatflyer

Options
3 Reply
Re:Range Extender Kills Phone
2019-06-24 18:16:28

@Floatflyer 

What is the model of the range extender that you are using?

Options
Re:Re:Range Extender Kills Phone
2019-06-24 18:37:26

It is a TL-WA855RE.  I did a live chat and the tech asked me to move the extender to another outlet and I did that.  To my surprise and delight, the phones do not seem to be affected by this new location which is only 6-7 ft away, go figure.  I completed the WPS buttons pushing to complete the installation and phones remain in service.  I have not determined if I actually have "extended range" or not.

Options
Re:Range Extender Kills Phone
2019-06-24 19:26:50

@Floatflyer 

The extender does operate on the same frequency (2.4GHz) as the cordless phones so it can interfere which seemed like it was, but good that both work now.

As far as the extender itself, look at the signal light. If it is connected to your router, the LED will be solid blue. If it is solid red it is too far from the router.

The wireless network should have a _ext at the end of it so if your Wi-Fi is mywifi, you should now see in addition to that mywifi_ext. That will be your extender that you connect to.

If your TL-W855RE is hardware version 4, it will add _ext. If your extender is hardware version 3, the network name will be the same as your router.

To find the version you can look on the box label or behind the extender.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1139

Replies: 3

Related Articles