Deco X68 + WIFI Range extender?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-28 23:39:00 - last edited 2021-11-29 01:44:17
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20210519 Rel. 36755

We recently purchased  2 pack Deco X68 system to replace a Synology router + 4 Netgear AC 1200 extenders.

The new mesh system is working great, except I would like to use 1 extender still to bring a connection to a network switch.  This worked just fine with the extender + router before.

When I attempt to connect the extender to the Deco, I am able to connect to the WIFI but there is no internet signal.   Have tried multiple times and have done a factory reset on the extender.

Given this is my first mesh system, is it by design that you 'cannot' use an extender with mesh?  It seems like the DECO is just blocking the extender from getting to the internet but letting all other types of devices through.

I understand I could buy another Deco unit to do the same thing - is this absolutely required vs using one of my extenders??

- Steve

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X68 + WIFI Range extender?-Solution
2021-11-28 23:54:39 - last edited 2021-11-29 01:44:17

I will answer my own post for future readers.  I have learned that mesh + wifi extenders are not designed to work together. 

For my use case, I will need to purchase an additional mesh node - I believe any in the tp-link 'Deco' series, according to what my needs will be as far as bandwidth for the ethernet port on the unit.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X68 + WIFI Range extender?-Solution
2021-11-28 23:54:39 - last edited 2021-11-29 01:44:17

I will answer my own post for future readers.  I have learned that mesh + wifi extenders are not designed to work together. 

For my use case, I will need to purchase an additional mesh node - I believe any in the tp-link 'Deco' series, according to what my needs will be as far as bandwidth for the ethernet port on the unit.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/deco-mesh-wifi/product-family/

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco X68 + WIFI Range extender?
2021-11-29 22:51:17

@hsmcdonald 

You are correct.  Deco Mesh can only truly work with other Deco Mesh units.  All units are compatible with each other but you do want to make sure the most featured oriented unit is designated and setup as your base unit.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 806

Replies: 2