Archer AC4000 Max Number of Devices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AC4000 Max Number of Devices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:Archer AC4000 Max Number of Devices?
2020-07-07 17:13:19

John20 wrote

Tony, Please ask your product team to increase that limit on static IP reservation to 96 in the next firmware update for AC4000 router. It's a very nice router. I purchased it recently.

@John20 

I'm pretty sure you can accomplish the same thing without needed 96 Reservations.

You can use static IP Address settings on a device. True, not all devices might allow that, but if they do, you are all set. All you must do is set the Router's DHCP Server to start above the last Static Address you assigned. That way there would be no collision that might knock a device off.

For those devices that can't set the IP Address they want, you will need to use the DHCP Reservation (limited to 32 devices) however.

So let's say you set the router to start the DHCP IP Addresses Pool @ 192.168.0.150. Next you only used 192.168.0.101 - 149 as assignable Reserved addresses (more than you can use, but allows freedom to group some addresses). So now you can Statically assign 192.168.0.2 - 100 for 96 devices.

Yes, you can have more than 96 static IP Address set, but remember, no matter what, only 96 at a time can connect to the router. You would need to manually manage who connects when if you have over 96 you need connected.

This link might be of interest to you, https://www.flexradio.com/ip-addresses-static-vs-dhcp-vs-dhcp-reservations/

Options
2020-07-07 17:46:25

@IrvSp I know that. It would be nice to keep complete list of devices and IPs in the router itself.

Options
2020-07-08 02:46:00 - last edited 2020-07-08 02:48:13

Tony wrote

@ram1220 

To say the router is limited to 32 addresses is not correct.

If you want the router to reserve an IP address for a device, you can reserve up to 32 devices. However, there is nothing to stop you from statically assigning a device its own static IP address which will also work.

Like my original post and what @IrvSp pointed out, you can connect up to 32 clients on each band so the max amount of clients you can have connected to the router is 96. 

I want to point this out so other people do not get the false impression the C4000 can only connect up to 32 clients.

@Tony 

Tony I was only repeating what you wrote in Post #2. If what you wrote is wrong then you might want to correct it. Only repeating what you wrote.

Options
2020-07-08 15:24:18

@ram1220 

You misunderstood the last sentence, " The max amount of address reservations is 32. "

Reservations is different than the number of devices that can connect to the router. Matter of fact, 'reservations' only mean when a specific device tries to connect to the router, it will be given a reserver IP Address. If the router has more than the number of devices per band connected, either a device will be dropped or it can't connect.

Options
Related Articles